MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-26-2002, 02:40 PM
armed and hammered4

how do you make leather wrapped bolsters, and handles?

You know what I'm talking about, those neato knives with a rawhide or leather wrapping on the bolster area or along the handle,, I.ve seen a couple of Dana Ackers knives like it and Daniel winkler does em to. Im at a total loss on how to do these thigs does anyone have any methods or suggestions that would help?
Thanx
Mike
Old 05-27-2002, 11:21 AM
Dana Acker

Hey Mike. I buy rawhide, or get it from hunter friends. Once my handle is in place, I take a piece of paper and cut it to fit my handle (in the area I want to wrap--and it depends on the handle as to how much I cover.) When wrapping make sure your seams do not quite come together. Once I have my paper exactly like I like it, I mark it out lightly on the rawhide with a pencil (no ink!!!) and cut it out with a stout pair of shears.

Once your rawhide is cut, soak it until soft in warm water. This usually takes 10-15 minutes. Blot it dry with a towel (just so it is not dripping wet.) Fit it around your handle, it the fit is good, proceed to punch your holes--a row on each side from top to bottom along each seam--make sure your holes are symmetrical, and not too close to the edge of the seam.

Once the holes are punched, re-soak the piece (it's probably dried out some by now.) While it's soaking, cut a piece of whatever your lacing material is to be--I like thin hemp cord--remember, too long is better than too short. I cut each end off at an angle so the cut end looks like a point. I put a dab of superglue on each end just to stiffen up the ends of the cord--makes 'em work like needles--helps when lacing through wet rawhide holes.

Once soft again, blot the rawhide dry (again, just so it's not dripping wet.) Wrap the rawhide around your handle, and start lacing it up. I lace it like a pair of shoes, from the top (next to the choil) to the bottom (towards the pommel or butt of the handle.) Lace snugly, without pulling so hard as to tear the holes in the rawhide. At the bottom, after the last holes have been laced, tie a knot to secure it. After doing so, a dab of superglue on the knot will guarantee it's not coming untied.

As the rawhide dries, it will shrink tight. If you're in a hurry, a hair drier will help speed the process.

I don't know if this answers the question like you wanted, but it's hopefully a place to start. If you have further questions on this, don't hesitate to ask--I'll do my best to accomodate.

Also--if you cover bone with rawhide, remember to keep it out of reach of the family dog--how do you spell CHEWBONE?
Old 05-27-2002, 04:56 PM
armed and hammered4

Thanks alot Dana youre reply is really gonna help me alot
Much appreciated
Mike

Tags
blade, knives