MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:48 AM

We used to love riding down Magnolia Avenue and out through the orange groves at night on our Honda 350-Fours. Those blossoms would almost overpower you at times. I'm sure it used to be better, in the earlier days when the whole area was covered with groves and not so much "civilization" had covered many of them up! I can still smell them and feel that cool air on my face. Cool air was a lot easier to find at night than during the smoggy, hot days. I sure did love Riverside! What a special year or so! There was a little Chinese restaurant up the street where we'd eat now and then, mostly, it seemed, though, that Bob would cook. His Ragu spaghetti was great, he always put a nice chunk of butter in the sauce. Along about 1976-77, I brought him a bottle of my wife's spaghetti sauce at a show. I'm sure he liked it!

Sitting on the curb, outside the Muehlbach hotel in K.C. Mo. one time, Frank Centofante and Don Zaccagnino and I were talking. I mentioned how well I liked Bob's spaghetti. When I said he used Ragu sauce, they about laughed themselves right off the curb (It was really a brick facia on the front of the hotel, or an establishment near by there) and couldn't get over my non-Italian pronunciation of "Ragu!" Ticked me off! Not really, but they got a laugh out of it.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 AM

What a great read

I haven't been on your forum since probably back in September...decided to do a visit today and stumbled across this...What a great read it has been...Thanks for sharing your memories. I enjoyed them all.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Enthusiast

Loveless

Amen Bernie,

Personally I have been trying to organize all of Steve's posts about Bob into a journal of sorts. A lot of gaps due to recalling and remembering almost 40 years past. Would be great if others could kick in some memories during those times. I can't remember what happened last week ! So its a job I am sure.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 PM

Yes. Pop in with your recollections, everyone, it'll add a lot to the report. I'm glad you like it. Thank you, very much, Jim for the organizing efforts, Jim. It'd be great to have it all in a better format.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Enthusiast

Loveless

Years ago, I placed an order with Bob for a knive after reading his catalog ( about 20 times) The catalog was the one that had Steve as a partner. A few years later I got a call--
It was from the man himself. I was in complete awe and kinda stampered around, uh uh, lol. I thought I just received a call from the burning bush!
Finally Bob said " Jim, what kind of knife did you have in mind, and I replied that I would like a knive that He would make for himself ". To me, it was the only way to get a real Loveless knive- if that makes any sense. Bob simply replied " I know what to do then"
He asked me a few questions about what I did and so forth, and the call ended. Bob made me feel so at ease. I was in my middle 20's, but I remember the call and his voice like it was yesterday. Sadly to say I never met Bob, but I was able to talk to him 4 or 5 times
over the years; times that I will always treasure, not to mention the two " Real Loveless "
knives that He made for "Himself" and I just happen to pay him for them!!

Jim

Last edited by jayers3673; 06-18-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Hope you still have those knives, Jim. Photos, perhaps?

Bob was in the Merchant Marine and always spoke highly of our men and women in uniform. This Independence Day reminds me of how he would talk respectfully of our soldiers and was more than happy to pay me to go to summer camp while I was serving in the Guard. He didn't begrudge my leaving him alone in the shop that summer and was happy to support our Armed Forces any time he had the opportunity. He loved flying and I wonder if he didn't have a little envy for pilots in the Services.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 07-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

Robert Loveless

Absolutely I have them Steve ! Rather, I have the 4" semi skinner & my son, who was a Army Ranger years ago, has the 5" Boot knife. I would be glad to post them if I knew how to post pics on the forum.

(You know, Jim; I can't seem to post a pic here, either, but I'm sure we'll get a volunteer, if you can email them a photo. That would be so cool. Thanks, Steve).

Last edited by Steve; 07-09-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Steel Addict

Jim,

If you can email the photos to me, I will post post them up so everyone can have a look.

cvestal65 at gmail.com

Take care

Charles
Old 07-14-2011, 02:13 AM

Thank you, Charles. Glad we have a techie onboard! It was great to see you at the AKCA Banquet and show in Atlanta.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

Loveless

Charles,

Thanks Charles. I am in Naples Florida for a couple weeks deep sea fishing, but
as soon as I get back to Texas, I'll email them to you. You might include the procedure
for posting pics; sent a copy to Steve too !...lolol

take care,

jim
Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Steel Addict

Sounds good Jim.

Have a good time on the water.

Charles
Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 PM

Bob's Mom came to visit out to Riverside, probably 1974 and she was so nice to me. She was the cook, it seems, while she was there. I would help her do the dishes now and then (At lest I think that's true) and one time, as she was wiping off the counter and draining out the wash water, she said, "Steve; use cold water to wash these soapy bubbles down the drain, then they don't multiply, like they do with hot water." Every single time I rinse bubbles out of a sink (using cold water of course) 37 year's later, I think of Bob's Mom. She was a sweetheart. She and Bob's Dad died not many years after that visit, sadly. Funny how some little things stick with you. That memory is a good warm one, almost daily. (Of course I still do the dishes, sometimes!)

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 07-22-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Loveless

Steve,

Just email the Loveless Semi-Skinner pic to Charles to post. Waiting on my son to send a pic of the boot knive. Just returned from Florida/ fishing trip.

All the best,

Jim
Old 08-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Great, Jim. Thanks a million! Hope the fishing went well. Can't wait for the photos.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 08-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast

Loveless

Oh the fishing was great......I caught every fish under 1 1/2 lbs in the gulf of
mexico...lolol. Every one over that size was on vacation too I guess.

Tags
blade, bowie, brand, brass, christmas, custom, fixed blade, folder, forge, guard, guards, heat treat, hidden, hunting, ivory, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, military, post, sharpening, supply, tang