MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-16-2002, 06:44 AM
Dana Acker

Europe Bound

Lord willin' and the creek (ocean) don't rise, this coming Friday, my son and I are heading across the waters for a week in Europe. We'll be based in Amsterdam, but part of the week we're going to Germany to hang out with Achim, and then Tim Wagendorp is coming to meet us and take us back to Belgium for a visit. While with Achim, we're planning to visit Charlemagne's collection (I want to see his hunting knife) and also go to Solingen to a knife museum there. Then we'll get to spend some time in his shop. If possible, I'll try to drop in and say howdy while over there. This has all the makings of being a collossal blast!
Old 03-16-2002, 07:49 AM
Don Cowles

Have a safe and good trip, Dana. Buen viaje!
Old 03-16-2002, 11:56 AM
foxcreek

Wow Dana, have a good time, take lots of picture. I know you will be the best ambassador for peace and goodwill we could have.

Richard, Fox Creek Forge
Old 03-16-2002, 01:24 PM
ansoknives

why don?t you all come up to me in Denmark? It aint so far..you are all welcome..you could even stay for a few days!

Old 03-16-2002, 02:28 PM
Lamnia Artifex

Cool Dana, doing the European vacation thing. Any particular reason you are going to be based in Amsterdam? : Hehe, most likely not, but it was worth mentioning. As my dad says to my constant chagrin "When in Maine, do as the Maine-ians." : I know, i know, old joke. I'm going to Germany in a few years to stay with one of my friends grandmothers, on a trip he is taking. And in Germany the legal drinking age is 16, I plan on taking my father's advice. Oh well, hope you enjoy yourself Dana. And when in Maine....
Old 03-16-2002, 07:54 PM
ghostdog

Europe

Dana, I was not going to say anything but, I have it on good intelligence that you have to watch out for Wirtz and Wagendorp while over there. I have been informed that they are going to go all out to help you enjoy your stay.

Well I hope the crick don't rise and you get over there just fine.

ghostdog
Old 03-17-2002, 08:05 AM
Jeff Sanders

Re: Europe

Yes Bro, have a safe and awesome trip.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:57 PM
Jones Knives

Re: Europe

Have a good trip, but most of all, stay safe.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:04 AM
Bog Iron

Europe

Deutsches Klingen Museum; Ja?

I went to a fleamarket in Solingen and picked up a small hammer IIRC...

*Beware* any beer with a name ending in "tor" (Anamator, Celebrator), *great* *stuff* but with a higher alcohol content, (AKA "Stark Bier").

Have a great time and eat a Donor kebab for me!

Bog Iron who spent the summer of 98 in germany and is bugged by wife and kids about another extended stay.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:11 AM
Tim Wagendorp

water level

Hey Dana,

Dont you worry about the water level: the belgian breweries have been pumping so much water for producing beer you'll be able to wade over from the states to europe. I'm sure we'll all have a great time. A pity it's such a short visit, but we'll make the very best of it.

See you soon,

Tim
Old 03-18-2002, 09:21 AM
AchimW

Re: water level

Hmmm, funny. Do the belgian breweries use salt water to make beer? Never had the impression they do......

But Tim is right! Even if it's only a short visit, we'll have a lot of fun. And the beer stuff in Belgium is even worse. The strong ales don't even have "...tor" attached to their name!!

See you next week!

Achim

Old 03-18-2002, 01:42 PM
nifeman

Hola Dana, Vaya con Dios, amigo...Bud
Old 03-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Dana Acker

Thanks for all the kind thoughts, Guys. We'll be in Amstedam partially because it's an interesting place, full of things like the Van Ghoh and Rembrandt Museums, the Anne Frank house, and wonderful architecture, also because it's about an equal distance travel time to Achim and Tim, and while I'm not sure why my (just turned 18 today) son chose to go there, I'm thinking (hoping) it's because he's taken a sudden interest in wooden shoes and windmills.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Jones Knives

Happy Bday to J.W.

I was once 18.
That was about 18 years ago.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Dana Acker

Thanks, Phillip. I'll pass that along to J.W. Hey Bro., we need to do a full mooner again when I get back.

Also thanks for the invitation Jens. I'd love to see Scandanavia sometime. My name "Dana" means man from Denmark--hence my Viking affinity. Unfortunately most corporations here in the USA are very stingy when it comes to giving vacation time, and I only have a week. Until my son is officiallt out from under my care, I have a full time job, and about the same amount of hours in the shop, so I cannot travel as I'd like to. But thanks again--one of these days do not be surprised if I take you up on your invitation.

Tags
forge, hunting knife, knife