MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrocker
Larrin do you think he's going to consider letting the 500 LG go? I'm sure it's out of my price range but I could always make him some furniture or maybe trade something!
I doubt it, my dad is very sentimental about his lawn ornaments; not to mention he has dreams of having it back in the shop and going again.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Hall of Famer

I can understand that!!! I almost never have any equipment for sale, except for a Blu air hammer, it's on the market.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I put a piezo sparker on a blown forge I built this last fall. It took a while for me to figure out exactly how to get it to light the forge because the fuel/air mix has to be just perfect. Ron Claiborne was here at the time and it made him very nervous watching me start that forge. Bottom line for me: after messing with it for a while I decided piezo sparkers aren't a good match for blown forges.

However, I have heard a rumor that Larry Harley has a workable mwthod of electrically starting a forge. I'm not sure if the forge in question is blown or not but I think his method would be the most likely to work for a blown forge. He uses one of those electric starters like they have on RV hot water hearters. When you flip the switch, it starts sparking and doesn't stop until the gas ignites .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:46 PM

If you will go to Harbor Freight and look thru there items for propane, you will see that they carry an adapter to put on the small handheld tank. They advertise it to use to burn the grass off your sidewalks with. When you light it, you can stick it in the forge and you won't have any hands in the doorway when it ignites. I think they are around $12. It works.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Guru

I think the whooof is the best part of lighting the forge! If you really want to have some fun....
When you're done forging and turn off the forge, wait until it is just a dull glow inside the forge and give a short burst of fuel. It'll "pop" quite loudly in half a second or so.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Enthusiast

Blast forge

I have owned and built nearly every itteration of forge in the last thirty years. Some worked better than others . The last dozen models are built using the Don Fogg system. Simple is a good thing. It is just a large pipe with a burner hole and two ports for the material to arrive in the heat. One of my well meaning friends made me a bueatiful forge with every thing you need including a spark lighter. Turn on the lighter hit the gas and VOLA you have a fire. That is wonderful in that order. Should you get out of order ie. turn on the gasssss wait a minute wondering why it did not light then remembering to hit the spark button. You getting the picture. My forge has a two foot inside dia. It holds lots of gas.
My forge is closed with a piece of thin plate with a fourty pound block of iron holding the kao wool down on the top of it.That block of iron hit the roof then the floor right between me and Wally. It rained hot kao wool. for somtime. I relined the forge then sent Wally home for a bath. Can you say fuel air bomb. I always put a lit piece of paper or a torch in the door befor turning on the gas. Wally just runs out side now untill it is burning
Old 05-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Steel Addict

But I really LIKE that whooof! It startles the cats, and that's always a good thing...

Tags
forge, forging