MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-05-2003, 12:11 PM
Misternatural?

"Swordhood" ?

At what point does a knife become a sword?

How can you tell a sword from a knife?
Old 03-05-2003, 12:50 PM
Hall of Famer

uhm, knifes cain't become swords.

Old 03-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Misternatural?

Sure they can!
Old 03-05-2003, 12:53 PM
Misternatural?

... boys become men!
Old 03-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm looking here and none of my knives have grown an inch.

HEy Swords are kinda different creaturtes. for one thing a well made sword has a dirrent balance than a knife.

I don't think length is the only consideration. Handle must be different on a sword for swinging, blocking, and thrusting. Balance is a little bit different.

The sword guys talk about nodes and all, not really sure about that. I haven't made any swords. Started too once.

In my mind I think maybe a knife over 15" is sorta sword classed, but some of the civil war D guard bowies were in the 15 to 24" range.

What else would do with a knife that long besides fight or cut watermelon.

hehe

Old 03-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Master

Send a message via AIM to jdlange Send a message via MSN to jdlange
I myself have a 24" bowie knife that use only to clean under my nails with. Just jokin, perhaps it depends on the size of the person holding it, a hobbit might very well use a big bowie knife for a sword. Not that I have met many hobbits of late but......ya never know...hehe

Gilbert " Gib " Guignard
12/02/35 - 7/15/05
A man like no other.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:28 PM
Steel Addict

Tom Maringer once wrote in an article that a sword has a blade of more than 18" in general or compared to the users build, the lenght from the elbow to the fingertips.
A big knife is not a sword, nor is a small sword a knife.
A sword has a "sweet spot" When you hit with that spot there is minimal vibration and maximal effect of the blow. You can find that spot when you hit the blade sideways, flat with your hand.

Only in your dreams a knife , wiped every day with pure testosteron, could become a sword.

Jan
Old 03-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Misternatural?

I don't think size is everything. What you do with it is just as important. It takes both to satisfy, really.

Some swords serve as knives, and some knives serve as swords... sometimes.

Knife plus sword equals "knord".

I'm working on a knord. That's why I ask. It's utility plus size.

It makes sense to me.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Misternatural?

Here's this 16 inch knord I'm work'n on. It's got a round tapered socket handle, so it's also a spear head. It's a bush spear/knord.

Old 03-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Misternatural?

I'm about half way through the filing in this shot.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Steel Addict

Me oh My. It was swords started me on this whole thing..

One day I decided I would be fulfilled only if I owned a sword.
So I bought 5 of them in as many months.

Lucked out and came across some knowledgable people so I didn't spend money on crap-swords.

What do I do with them? Cut. Watermelons, pumpkins, plywood, cardboard, old rolled up carpet ... even got the old (nasty) heavy bag out of the gym and hacked it up.

Fun? Oh yeah. My daughter even has 2 swords. A 10thC Viking (5160 Atrim blade with fancified fittings) and a (so-so quality) presentation baskethilt, she loves baskets ...

I have a short leaf blade from Al Massey coming soon. This'll be my first "custom" and my 2d Al-blade, he made me a present of big honkin' dagger when I visited Nova Scotia.

Current favorite is my re-hilted Del Tin falchion. This is a big ugy chopper. Very curved blade. Came with a heavy round pommel and weird knuckle guard, now it has the foreleg of a critter (roadkill) for its handle and brass oval guard.

Do I ever intend to make a sword?
Shoot, I am still tryin to forge the perfect kitchen knife ... *g*

A knord .. Yeah I can see many uses for a knord. Everytime I want to make the neighbors nervous, I cut some weeds with the falchion ...

Trish

ps: No, never been to a Renn Faire, never played D&D, never played role-playing games, I just like to cut cut cut ...

Last edited by Davis; 03-05-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Tai I like it it looks like a..... tie. You know that is a very eye pleasing shape.

KNORDS to ya BRO

length of sword elbow to figertip is refered to in the Bible.

In mY case 19", whew I bet Shaq would have a long sword

Old 03-05-2003, 03:49 PM

I think it's a combination of intention of use and size. Traditionally swords were weapons first and foremost, and knives were tools. Not that they didn't possess some interchangeable functions, as Tai mentioned. But the whole idea of a sword was originally martial--extending one's reach in combat. Given equal skills, the warrior with a sword had superiority over the warrior with a knife. Another way size is a consideration is in spacial concept, as a sword is not practical in a confined space, where a knife is not as limited to the space in which it can be used. I think to bridge the gap between the two our various ancestors came up with the short sword and the long knife which allow the piece enough length to be martially effective, yet practical for everyday use.

In feudal Japan the Samurai carried a katana for field combat. The wakasashi was a short sword, used as a convenient backup in case the katana was lost or broken, but primarily used as an indoor defensive weapon--palace guards etc, carried them. For close quarters last ditch combat, or just basic everyday use, the tantos and the hai hochos were used.

A big knife or sword can do the work of smaller knives, but seldomly (martially speaking) do you see the opposite.

Last edited by Dana Acker; 03-05-2003 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:12 PM
Master

Send a message via AIM to jdlange Send a message via MSN to jdlange
"Knord" I like that a lot! And that is very cool "knord" you have there Tai!

Gilbert " Gib " Guignard
12/02/35 - 7/15/05
A man like no other.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Got to agree mostly with Dana on this one except by the 18th century there were hunting swords but since they were in essence "extending one's reach" they were operating on the same principle.

On the other hand I'm going to disagree with Jan in part at least. I've handled a bunch of different style swords over the years, both original and reproduction, and when it comes to the slashing type swords he's pretty much on the money.
But there were swords designed almost purely for stabbing that you would have a hard time finding a sweet spot. One style that comes to mind is the estoc which had a very heavy duty diamond shaped blade that was designed purely for punching through plate armour. All of them I have ever handled any way tended to be quite blade heavy although some were balanced by adding a long grip and large solid pommel. They are often seen in late medieval prints being couched under the arm like a lance. Even Trish's favorite the falchion in orginal form was very blade heavy as it's main purpose was for the foot soldier who usually carried them to chop through plate armour.
A good sword though is a delight to handle and one of the finest I ever got the pleasure to handle was an original German Landscaped two hander that weighed no more than 4 lbs total yet it had a 60" blade and an 18" grip. The blade had two wide fullers to lighten it.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives