MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:34 AM

Stiletto Knife

Why are Stiletto Knives usually banned? Knife is a knife, other type are also dangerous, it all depends how one wants to use it.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

What you say is true enough but logic rarely has much to do with making laws, especially where guns and knives are concerned. The logical part of why stilettos are banned is because they are straight blades with two edges and a point and by that design they have no legitimate use except for stabbing. The illogical part of their banishment comes from the 1950's street gangs that carried stiletto switchblades. Law makers need people to panic about something - anything - so that they can "do something about it" and in the 50's that was switchblades. So, they decreed that switchblades were now illegal and that lead to other forms of stilettos.

Join and support the AKTI (American Knife and Tool Institute). They are the NRA of knives and are the reason that 'automatic' knives are making a comeback. Who knows, maybe someday stilettos .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-04-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
What you say is true enough but logic rarely has much to do with making laws, especially where guns and knives are concerned. The logical part of why stilettos are banned is because they are straight blades with two edges and a point and by that design they have no legitimate use except for stabbing. The illogical part of their banishment comes from the 1950's street gangs that carried stiletto switchblades. Law makers need people to panic about something - anything - so that they can "do something about it" and in the 50's that was switchblades. So, they decreed that switchblades were now illegal and that lead to other forms of stilettos.

Join and support the AKTI (American Knife and Tool Institute). They are the NRA of knives and are the reason that 'automatic' knives are making a comeback. Who knows, maybe someday stilettos .....
Well it is insane then, let me share few links for example, like this is stiletto the pointed blade https://swordsswords.com/knives/stil...tto-knife.html and this is a drop point blade https://swordsswords.com/knives/kniv...ing-knife.html, so the question remains the same, will this drop point not stab/cut? we all know knife is a useful tool but a deadly one with wrong intentions, so ban part i don't get, either ban ever knife or free every, simple.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:11 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Of course the drop point can stab and cut. It can also be used for dressing out a carcass and other jobs. A stiletto though has only one purpose and that is as a weapon which is their justification for restricting it. I think it is a stupid restriction because, as you said, other knives can stab too but by now we know that politicians and common sense don't mix....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Guru

Location: putnam county NY ....about 45 mins north of new york city
As ray said logic has nothing to do with law making....something happends....law makers respond and usually they over react to the issue...i live in NY our knife laws are tough and have been for along time but to compare it to something else recently heroin has become a epidemic kids are dying left and right so now the local judges and da's are cracking down and sending mostly young kids to jail for 10+ years for simple position of heroin even if they have no record where as some one with a record gets caught with cocaine he is home from jail 6 months later is cocaine a better drug than heroin? i think not not... i know this is somewhat of a different thing but my point is because of what is happening in our communities right now the officals are reacting to it often without much logic to it at all....our knife laws here are rough i live a little bit upstate so they tend not to bother you too much but if i go down to the city i can actually walk in a store and buy a spring assisted knife and i could then walk out the door of that store and have hand cuffs slapped on me for having a spring assisted knife i just legally bought....how that makes ANY sense at all completely blows my mind....honestly i can get what your saying that if you ban 1 you should ban all....but lets be real they cant completely ban all knives so they ban the kind that are usually involved with trouble you don't find many people going to buy a stiletto to cut there steak dinner with and 9 times out of 10 when a cop arrests a gang member, drug dealer or violent felon they usually don't find a steak knife in their pocket its always a weapon style knife so yeh does it lack logic YES is it just the way it is and not much we can do about it YES

Tags
automatic, bee, blades, ca, camping, common, design, drop point, fixed, guns, home, knife, knives, makers, making, simple, stiletto, store, survival, switchblade, tool, wilderness