MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Living Legend

Stone file II

I just built this new stone file and it is alot easier to use then my previous design. It uses 6x1/2x1/4" SiC or A/O EDM stones. You can get the stones in grits from 150 up to 800 from MSC direct.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH

I use this file to finish knives and to sharpen them. It can be used on allready hardened steel which regular files won't touch. The stone file is faster then sand paper and can even do some contouring. It is used with softened water to clear the cuttings.

This one was made from cinnamon wood (knob also) and is a very easy project that does not require any specialty tools. You can substitute the wood knob for a wingnut if you do not have a lathe. You could also use a wood drawer knob from the hardware or lumber store. Just drill out a hole in it and put a chunk of allready threaded tubing in. The allthread is 10-24 and is secured into the frame with a threaded hole and some gorilla glue. The wood should have some waterproof sealer on it because it will get water or whatever carrier you will be using (window cleaner, oil, water). I used thinned out tung oil so it will not be glossy slick.

It only takes a few seconds to swap out the stones for the next higher grit. The 150 grit stones really hog off alot of metal quickly. This system also gives you more choice of finishes then a regular metal file.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 10-03-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Guru

I really like this one Brent, I might have to give it a try.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 09-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Master

Very cool, Brent. I could see that as being very useful.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Living Legend

Thanks! I replaced the exploded pic with a bigger one. These are very easy to make and I find myself using a stone file on almost every knife now in some part of the finishing process. It is one way to get a very ancient finish on knife. I am just finishing up a tanto that is completely hammer forged and stone finished. After I get to the 600 stone I will use pumice to put a satin polish on it.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Very valuable info for me! I use stones almost exclusively, and they can be hard to hang onto, but not any more!
Thanks.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 09-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Living Legend

This was my first stone file. It required some machining and using stainless steel since they are used wet. I wanted to make a simpler one that would be easier to make. Hopefully you guys will try one out now. For the handle contouring just roll it on the belt grinder or sander wheel and then hand sand the rest of the ridges out. I also put a very small dab of silicon caulk in each of the corners that the stone fits into. It snugs the stone up better so it will not move and you don't have to over tighten it.

More close up pics of the stainless one.
http://groups.msn.com/Brentscustomkn...to&PhotoID=254

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 10-04-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrocker
Very valuable info for me! I use stones almost exclusively, and they can be hard to hang onto, but not any more!
Thanks.
And I am sure you have caught a part of your hand on the edge. that was the main reason I decided many moons ago to make a frame/holder for them. After slicing my hand and fingers several times on the ever developing edge.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Living Legend

Brett(I hope I got your name right) this is ingenius.Think I'll have to make one.Thanks

Old 09-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Skilled

Brent,

nice simple holder!
I wanted to try stones for some time now but never did.

Can you please answer my questions below about stones?
1. How often do you have to flatten stones?
2. How do they compare to sand paper in cost?
3. Do 400 grit stone take off metal faster that sandpaper?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 10-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Misternatural?

Very cool Brent! You really make some nice tools.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Living Legend

Thanks! I enjoy making knife making tools as much as making the knives themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkuzn
Brent,

nice simple holder!
I wanted to try stones for some time now but never did.

Can you please answer my questions below about stones?
1. How often do you have to flatten stones?
2. How do they compare to sand paper in cost?
3. Do 400 grit stone take off metal faster that sandpaper?

Thanks,
Alex
The 320 grit and higher do start to "dish" after some use. The 600 and 800 only come in aluminum oxide so they dish alot faster. Using the the right technique will make sure the whole stone is used and thus slow down the dishing. I have also flipped them over to get a brand new flat side to use. Even when they dish you can still use them. I use and arcing pass to work up the convex edge plunge.

The stones cost $3.77 each which is less then a package of SiC wet/dry sandpaper. I like using them over sandapaper enough that I don't care if it costs a few pennies more, it is so much faster. They also will get into the riccaso better then sandpaper.

The 400 removes hardened steel very fast compared to sandpaper.

The EDM stones come in several sizes and shapes and I plan on making another one that will take the 1" wide stones. I will put a triangle flute along the inside spine of the frame so I can use the round and triangle stones on the same file.

Another modification would be make a stainless or aluminum blank that you could put the adhesive sandpaper strips onto and then secure it in the frame. Anything that will keep your fingers away from the edge will always help. It seems like most knifemaking injuries happen during hand sanding, at least for me.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Skilled

What's neat is on that Congress site that guy posted over at Fogg's site there were some other stone types that went up to around 1200 grit (Super Fine ones).

Hrm, definitely might have to think about making a holder and getting stones =P

Bcarta Composites
Stabilized Woods
Old 10-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Living Legend

here is the link to the Congress website, they carry alot more stones and grits.
http://www.congresstools.com/congres...tcat&parent=25

I want to browse around that site when I get some time, lots of finishing goodies.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Skilled

im sold heh, after spending about 150 on paper last time i needed abrasives and learning to hate having to CONSTANTLY change paper this idea speaks to me on a spiritual level *grins*
thanks VERY much for sharing.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Living Legend

I have never liked cutting up sandpaper and then getting about two minutes out of the piece. That and the last few blemishes that just don't want to go that take another hour to get rid of. With the stones you just blast it out and get onto the next higher grit. You can even skip every other grit and still not have to spend alot of time before moving on.

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knife making, knives