MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast

Can you bend antler?

I use whitetail deer antler a lot and have a bunch of sections that would be great handles except they have a bend or a curve to them. Is it possible to bend deer antlers and how would you do it?

Thanks

Dave Armour
Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Hall of Famer

I have had some success straightening antler. I boil it in water (4 or 5 min) then put it in a press. bend it slightly and let dry. then repeat as necessary. It may take many cycles.Go too fast and the antler splits. Note don't do it in the kitchen, really stinks and makes the wife unhappy.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast

Boiling is the best way I've used. However if you are stock removing you can shape the tang to fit the antler then.

-Geoff
Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Steel Addict

This is best to be done outside due to the smell.

Bring to a boil and hold for a short while. Have everything ready the vice complete w/boards to line the jaws. Have the vice set for the right size of opening. You will need heavy gloves such as welders gloves as you will need to handle the antler right out of the pot and you need to hurry.

Clamp it in the vice under the theory of break bust or bleed. In other words as much pressure as you can put on it! The one I did straightened out well however the wood grain of the blocks left an imprint on the antler itself (that just added character to the antler)and the antler left impressions in the wooden blocks, where I embedded it by cranking the pressure to it.

I let it set for three days or more before letting the vice loose. The antler had almost a two+" bend in it I wanted to get rid of. It was almost completely straight and once the moisture dries back out it will stay that way!!!!!!!!!!

This is the knife I made with the antler. It is a primitive folder. The bend was in the direction of the blade and where it folded into the antler so it had to be as straight as possible!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 07-18-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Tags
antler, press, tang