MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 12-07-2001, 12:17 PM
Raymond Richard

Sheath holding device....

A few years ago I had see a maker working on a sheath, most likly in a knife magazine. He had made a sit down device that had jaws to hold the sheath while he was hand stiching it. It was set up that his body weight was transfered to the jaws to hold the sheath and to re-position the sheath he just had to get up a second to relieve the pressure. Anyone here got anything like that? What are some of the ways everyone uses? Ray
Old 12-07-2001, 12:48 PM
Gary Mulkey

Ray,

The tool that you are describing is a stitching horse. I used one when I worked in the saddle shop. Ours had a leather strap running from the jaws to a foot pedal to lock the jaws shut.
Once in a while you can find one in an antique or junk shop. Years ago every saddle maker had one.

Gary
Old 12-07-2001, 04:16 PM
MJHKNIVES

Most leather supply stores have them,I got mine rom Tandy back in 1980 but dont use it anymore,prefering a padded vise and standing up.
Old 12-07-2001, 05:44 PM
cgillock

stitching clams

I own & use several types. The horse type is hard on the back. I have another style that you can put between your legs sitting in a comfortable chair. It is copied from an original from England. This type makes it easier to switch sides when stitching. This is not convienent with a stitching horse.

Tags
knife