MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 03-12-2002, 09:56 AM
ghostdog

Sam Brown stud

in another thread Sandy mentions a Sam Brown stud as a fastener. I am unfamiliar with it. Can someone explain it to me or direct me to a good picture on the web?

Thanks

ghostdog
Old 03-12-2002, 10:54 AM
Don Cowles

It is a ball on a post, usually brass, that is pushed through a slit in the strap like a button.
Old 03-12-2002, 02:47 PM
primos

Is that what this is? I love them whatever they're called.

Old 03-12-2002, 09:42 PM
MtMike

Sam Brown studs

The Leather Factory and Hide Crafters both sell them. If you haven't seen themon knife sheaths, you probab;y would recognize them on old military pistol holsters with the flap that covers the entire handle. Most of the studs I've used are the rivet style, but one company also makes a screw back. They are 1/4" balls, either brass or nickel, and about 1/2" tall. Greg Gutcher, Sullivans Holster, also sent me a few made by Ohio Bag Company which are flatter on top rather than a ball shape (the Ohio Bag model are screw backs). Both kinds work well, but I prefer the round ball.
If you are going to try them I recommend making a few practice keeper straps first, because the hole and small slit which fit over the stud have to be done very exactly to get a good fit. And remember that the leather will stretch around the hole over time, widening it and making it easier for the keeper to release. But if you do it right, it makes a nice alternative to line snaps.
One other thing, the rivet studs use a special setting platform/tool to make putting them on easier. I guess you could do it without this tool, but I've never tried it. Here's an example of one I did a while ago.(pic isn't showing here; follow link)
MtMike
www.webphotos.com/view_ph...&p=1160725

Old 03-13-2002, 10:42 AM
ghostdog

Thanks

Thanks guys. I have seen them and owned items that utilized them. I never heard a name for them. They definetly are neat. Kewl stuff on your site there MTMike.

ghostdog
Old 03-14-2002, 06:20 PM
MtMike

Sam Brown studs (pic)

Figured if I read the "Tutorial" enough times I could get this right !
MtMike

Old 03-14-2002, 07:03 PM
SIGGI

Re: Sam Brown studs (pic)

Good Job, Mike.

Both the posting and the knife!

Bob Sigmon
Old 03-14-2002, 11:04 PM
MtMike

Sam Brown studs (pic)

Thanks SIGGI,
can't determine whether the knife is an old frontier piece or a theater-type military knife, but the sheath I made for it seems to fit. The Sam Brown stud looks much more appropriate than a snap. Just a little thing, right?
If I get the time (and remember to do it) I'll post a picture of the knife tomorrow. As Sandy said, the Sam Browns have been around a long time, and would be right for many older knife styles.
MtMike
Old 03-15-2002, 08:38 AM
MtMike

Sam Brown studs (pic)

This is the knife in the pic. Picked the Sam Brown stud as an "era" thing.
MtMike

Old 03-15-2002, 09:31 AM
ansoknives

Re: Sam Brown studs (pic)

it is also the only kind of "snap" that I would use.....

Tags
knife