MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Skilled

My ABS journeyman smith performance test day

I contacted Hank Knickmeyer (ABS Mastersmith) last week to set up a date and time to do my Journeyman smiths performance test. Well, yesterday was the day. My wife and I left the house at 6am. and after approximately 3 hrs. driving ,arrived at Mr. Knickmeyers a little before 9. After a lengthy discussion about what I needed to do and him critiquing some of my knives, it was time for the test.

I have performed these tests on my knives, in my own shop many times over in the last several years but still, I was so nervous, I don't even remember swinging the knife at the hanging rope. I just remember seeing the rope end come off and hitting the ground. I had practised rope cutting several times at home last week, but it all changes when you have someone with Mr. Knickmeyers expertise standing there watching and judging.

Next came the 2x4 chop, we strapped the 2x4 in the vise and I began whaling away. It seemed like it took a lifetime to chop it through 2 times,when actually it was only a very short period, but my adrenalin levels were getting higher by the second and I believe I could have chopped a car into. Not good for an old fart like me.

Next came the hair shaving, a quick pass over the skin and the hair jumped off as though it was trying to get away , still extremely sharp.

Finally the bend test, Mr. Knickmeyer marked the blade with a magic maker and we tightened the blade down in the vise at the mark. With him standing off to one side I began the procedure of bending, farther and farther it bent, needing more and more pressure applied as I went, my arms began to shake and I throught isn't that 90 degrees yet, still no sound from Mr. Knickmeyer, so I applied as much as I could and suddenly I heard him say, thats it.
I relaxed the handle and the blade returned back to about 45 degrees we removed the blade from the vise and Mr. Knickmeyer looked it over, it had a very nice wide sweeping bend and not a crack anywhere. Then I heard, you passed.

O happy days, I was ready for a cold beer or 2.

I want to thank Mr.Hank Knickmeyer (MS) for taking the time out of his busy schedule on probably the hottest day of the summer,and making time for this judging, also for sharing his expertise on knife making, fit & finish and steel making with my wife and I. A very generous person. Thank you very much.
Test Knife was made from 52100.

Bill

www.geocities.com/buxtonknives
Old 08-01-2006, 04:53 PM

That's awesome, Bill! I love seeing you guys there in the foto too. Very nice. Congratulations!

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 08-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Congratulations Bill! I never doubted it for a second.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Steel Addict

Is that a kuhkri you are holding?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Steel Addict

Good job Bill.

You should have let me know, I would have rounded up a couple more makers and come up there to watch. Wouldn't it have been more fun for you to have a group watching

Hank Knickmeyer is a super guy.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Guru

Grats Bill, great job. You need to hang that up on the wall as a warning to all of the knives that don't cooperate

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 08-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Hall of Famer

You're an inspiration Bill! Proud of you bud!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast

My ABS journeyman smith performance test today

Congratulations! I enjoyed hearing about it. I have been there and know how you must have felt during the whole process. Lin
Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Drunkenduck
A very well earned congradulations. Put that blade somewhere safe because you're going to have to take that to Atlanta for judging.

Doug Lester
Old 08-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Congradulations! I do not yet forge but greatly admire those who do.Hats off to you its your day.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Skilled

Thank you all for the congradulations and well wishes. I know this is just the first step of many and that there's a long way to go and that some say its the easiest step, but like my wife said yesterday, at least next time she won't have to watch. LOL

When you test, test and test around your own shop, you think, or I did anyway that this would be a piece of cake, but for me it all changed when it came down to the final, you pass or you fail. Knife makers are a very proud bunch and we all do our best every time we build a knife, but when someone like Mr. Knickmeyer or other proven mastersmith stands off to the side judging your work, it does get pretty darn nerve racking.

Don, I'm definately glad I didn't say anything. Ron Duncan wanted me to test at Warrenton last spring when he did his master smith performance test, there was no way I could have done this in front of a bunch. I bet the next time you talk to Mr. knickmeyer he says something about how nervous I was. I believe he was really trying to get me settled down before the test, but finally he said, your never going to get calmed down until we get this over with, so lets go do it. I agree, he's a very nice person.

Thank you all,

Bill

Old 08-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Skilled

Nice job!
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 08-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Steel Addict

Good job, Bill. Know what you mean about nerves!! Ask Burt Foster about me testing at his place sometime. Just part of the process, I guess. Gets you ready for two hours outside the judging room in Atlanta. I know you will do fine.

Wish you would try and make it down to Bowie's end of september. It would be good to visit with you! Congrats again for passing your performance test.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Steel Addict

Congratulations Bill!!!

I know how you feel, it doesn't matter how many times you test at home, it all changes when you go and test for real.

Jon

ABS Master Smith

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten" author unknown
Old 08-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Skilled

Thanks guys.

Exactly Jon, it made sweat come out of places I didn't know it could.

Bill, I was hoping that Bowie would send me a flask of that Tennessee fire water to take the edge off during that 2 hour wait. A sip or 2 should do it.

I'd really like to make the hammer-in, but we're going to the Chicago Knife show the 8-9 and I don't know if I'll have the stamina to travel that much. I hope, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Bill

Last edited by B. Buxton; 08-02-2006 at 07:55 AM.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives