MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Skilled

Power tools priority

What power tools would you guys recommend to get first for an initial setup?
My current budget is about $100

I have a dremel but what I don't like about it is when you sand flat surface dremel leaves small indentations due to it's small diameter.

Thanks!

:confused:
Old 12-20-2004, 02:09 PM

Since you posted this in the Kit Knives forum, I assume that means you're gonna start off by making kit knives. As you begin to branch out on your own, probably the first thing you're going to want to do is make your own scales and bolsters..and for those, a drill press is a must have. For now, you can get one from Harbor Freight, which will be more than enough to satisfy your Drill Press needs for some time. If you continue with knifemaking, eventually you'll want a bigger, nicer press, but you'll always be able to find a use for the inexpensive HF drill press (Lots of folder makers here have 2 or 3 set up in a row, each dedicated to a specific task).

My very first power tool was a Dremel. One of my better purchase decisions...I bought their "professional" model, which has digital adjustments and slightly more powerful motor with slow start/stop feature. I still reach for it on a daily basis...for one thing or another. To sand larger areas with your Dremel, it'll help if you can get hold of larger sanding drums. I just bought a 15 pc. replacement set of drums from these people: www.mountainwoodcarvers.com It included my favorite larger size, 3/4" X 1/2"...It also came with these sizes 3/4 X 3/4, 3/8 x 1/2, 1/2 x 1/2 (Standard Dremel size), 1/2 X 3/4. They each came with a 50grit and 120 grit. Cost was only $7.95

After they arrived I discovered that MSC also carries the larger size drums...Just make sure you don't accidently buy the 1/4" shank (you want 3/32 or 1/8).

To help avoid the sanding marks, apply little or no pressure... let the sanding drum do the work. With practice and a light touch, you'll get so you can pretty much sand anything and what little marks you might leave can easily be handled with sandpaper, which is required for finishing anyway.

Many guys start off with a 1" x 30" belt sander....It's tempting because they can be gotten for cheap. I bought a Sears 1" x 30" early on and it didn't take long fo me to find out that they're not terribly useful when it comes to knifemaking...That is, if you buy a cheapie like I did. (The exception: I'm told that the Kalamazoos, 1 x 30 or 1 x 42 are pretty well built and can be useful for years to come for getting into some of the tight areas).

I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions,...everyone has their own way of working and their own comfort level. You'll find yours in no time at all...A good rule to follow when it comes to buying your tools...buy the best you can afford...if you can, buy even better than that! Whatever you get, it's amazing how fast you'll wish you had gotten the better one.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 12-20-2004, 03:20 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I'll agree with Dennis that the drill press is probably the most important thing for you right now. I'd get the biggest one your budget will allow. Heavier means steadier, and floor models are great. Trust me, you can drill accurate holes with a hand drill, but it's very difficult. Drill presses make it so much easier and faster.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 12-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
drill press for sure to start with

Old 12-21-2004, 01:32 AM
Skilled

What do you guys can say about these two machines I found on HarborFreight.com?

4'' x 36'' BELT/6'' DISC SANDER
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38123

12 SPEED BENCHTOP DRILL PRESS
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44836

Is Central Machinery brand any good?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 12-21-2004, 02:36 AM
Skilled

I don't know about the brand, but if ou are picking between the two tools, definately go with the drill press. I have a similair sander, and I use it ofr getting handle material flat, and the disk for dove tailing bolster/scales. Other than that, I don't find a lot of uses for it with knife making.

Cheers,

Trenton

Old 12-21-2004, 05:04 AM

IMHO, I would stay away from both Harbor Freight and Central Machinery. They are probably the lowest quality tools you can buy... which means they won't last long.

Only having $100 to start with is a tough one... I'd probably agree on the Dremel tool, but I'd be lost without a drill press and a sander of some kind, preferably a belt sander.

My rule of thumb is... "you don't save money buy buying cheap tools".

Old 12-21-2004, 05:46 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
a good way to get good tools is to go to local machine shop auctions some times they sale realy nice tools cheap --but check them out and make sure you have the power to run them ; schools are upgrading all the time and they have sales check with school system as to when there next sale will be and to but you on the mailing list do the same with local aucton comp.but be sure you tell them you are only interested in tools and machines .ebay has tons of tool and machines ,need to know what your looking at and ask lots of questons . when starting with 100 bucks its hard to get into wide rang of machines ,
i have a cheap drill press that i have used for over 30 years it still works great bought a good chuck off of ebay that turned it in to a better drill shimed table to flat with drill shaft works great the chuck and the tapered shaft that its hucked to need to be rereplaced or at least trued up to remove wobble a good taper and chuck can chang it to a good machine
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...344851581&rd=1 i know this is over you 100 bucks but they are out there at low prices this machine is a buy it now pric and a fixed shipping rate
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...344427085&rd=1 this to is a buyitnow price -===15 bucks its just like the one i have used over 30 years the problen you have to pay shipping of 39 bucks this is the same machine that can be bought at northern tool for a little more
http://search.ebay.com/drill-press_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40 a link to ebay

http://search.ebay.com/jacobs-chucks...omZR40QQsojsZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...861760789&rd=1

Last edited by Ron Claiborne; 12-21-2004 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Skilled

Delta 350 drill press

You guys convinced me!
I am going to buy a more expensive Delta 350 drill press.
$209 on Amazon + free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

Old 12-22-2004, 11:08 PM

I would get a "Cross Sliding Vise". You can drill some accurate holes as well as do some light milling (for Mikov scales). Next, I would look at a drum sander for shaping scales. Have fun!

John
Old 01-23-2005, 05:39 PM

If you haven't already purchased the Delta you may want to reconsider. It it designed for woodworking and has a minimum speed of 620 RPM which is too high for metalworking. At that speed you will ruin your drill bits. It might be OK for using a drum sander but not for drilling steels.

I would try and find something under 250 RPM at the low end if possible. Even lower would be better.

Allen

Tags
knife, knife making, knives