MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-26-2002, 02:36 PM
nifeman

Finished... rosewood hunter

Hiya fellers, finished up a rosewood handled hunter. It has a rustic finish and linseed oiled handle. you can view it at:

www.msnusers.com/Outofthe...PhotoID=43

Thanks for looking and any comments, Bud
Old 04-26-2002, 02:40 PM
prizzim

I wish my handles looked that nice. Well done - keep it up.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:49 PM
MaxTheKnife

That's like a western style pukko knife. Cool Bud. And a pewter ferrule? How'd you do that? It would be great to have a knife like that on my hip every day. Looks like a good user.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:50 PM
Raymond Richard

Bud, thats a good looking knife, like that handle style. You've about used up that old tractor haven't you? Ray
Old 04-26-2002, 05:27 PM
nifeman

Hey Raymond, yeah I'll have to start on my wifes Sentra next. I don't know how that Japanese steel will work.
Really though there's a bountiful supply at my local landfill. I live in a farming community and I have a friend who's place I haven't even stopped at yet. I like using those plow points though they temper real well and it seems to be good steel to start with, and works like butter at forging temps.

As far as the ferrule goes, just wrap a piece of grocery bag around the handle at the height you want the pewter to come up to and secure it with masking tape. Then you melt your pewter in a ladle or something that will not melt at the temp of the pewter ( a soup ladle is what I use) and pour it all at once to the top of the paper. Once you pour it, it'll solidify and you quench it in water. Take off your paper and finish it with files and sandpaper or on a belt grinder with about a 120 grit belt. It'll take on a nice patina in time and I think it looks sharp, really dresses up a knife. If I'm not mistaken there's a tutorial on Tim Lively's forum...Bud
Old 04-26-2002, 07:16 PM
Diamond G Knives

Bud:
Nice knife, I agree that it's a definate user friendly style. I love the pewter. Did you drill thru the handle to make a "locking lug" or will it hold on its own? Nice Job!
Mike
Old 04-27-2002, 08:10 AM
Cactusforge

Nice knife, you are getting handy with the pewter it looks good on that knife. Gib
Old 04-27-2002, 10:05 AM
Jones Knives

Nicely done.
Old 04-27-2002, 05:34 PM
nifeman

Hey Mike, no I haven't had to drill any holes thru the tang. All I do is leave the blades ricasso stick out about 1/4" from the handle then bring my papaer wrap up that high before I pour my pewter. Then I clean it up and voila!!! It fits perfect to the base and handle. The gap where the tang meets the ricasso will hold the pewter as it seeks every nook and cranny. Hope this helps. You'll have to try this method it's easy and quick. I hope to post some pics of the procedure in the near future...Bud
Old 04-29-2002, 12:40 AM
AchimW

That's a very nice knife. I like the blade profile a lot. Nice handle, too.

Achim
Old 04-29-2002, 12:54 AM
Tim Wagendorp

nice

That's a greatlooking knife you made there. Nice elegant handle shape. But just make sure you wear kevlar gloves while fighting with this beauty. The scandinavians use knives with similar designs, but only use pull strokes in order to save their fingers

good job,

tim

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives