MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Guru

heat treat

Hey guys figured i would post a new thread since the last one has turned into a book...anyway i was away for a few days and since i been back i have been coming up with a few designs as ''prototypes" that if they work out well ill make a few more and sell them...people already asking me for a while and i feel combtorable taking someones money now so anyway i was HTing them yesterday the liquid nitrogen over night now tempering everything....i may have run into a problem maybe not? i put the blades in the even heat oven at 350 well i checked on it a min or 2 later and it was all the way up to 381 it immediately started going down but i have never seed the oven go so far above the set temp it may varry a few degrees but never seen it that off....do you guys think this will have a big effect on the temper or maybe not since it was only for a min? ohh its 440c steel
Old 06-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

It should be fine. Ovens do that on the initial ramp up from room temp. If you want to avoid that in the future just program it to stop at 300F for 10 minutes and then continue on to 350 for one or two hours (whatever time you normally use). It will overshoot the initial 300 but still be under 350, and then after it has stabilized at 300 it will proceed to 350 without overshooting by more than the normal few degrees ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Guru

ok good idea ill try that next time last time i didnt notice it go that high but maybe i just didnt catch it at the right time......i am hoping it didnt change the HT to much cause the knives i did today i am going to test the **** out of them and if they come out good make 1 or 2 more of each design with the exact same HT and sell them...i have had people asking for me to make one for them and actually up in massachuseets my nephew is a tatoo artist and the guy that owns a few buildings and buessness there saw a few of my knives i brought up to show my nephew and the guy sells knives and swords at the tatoo shop (mostly manufactured almost garbage stuff) but hes willing to buy 2 or 3 and try to sell them if that works out ill send him more....now that i am a lil more confident with this hopefully i can get some sort of income from this even if its only matterials plus a lil extra for now any one who read a lil of the last thread knows i have put a decent amount of money into this maybe i can start making some of it back.....when i get done with the testing ones ill throw up pics in a thread to see what every one thinks
Old 06-02-2016, 07:04 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That little bit of difference in the temperature won't matter because it was not held long enough to soak the steel to that temp ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Steel Addict

It's a good idea to keep a heat sink in your tempering oven as well, to help mitigate the temp swings. I use my wife's big thick stone cookware....works very well.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Guru

ok ray thats exactly what i was hoping that it didnt stay long enough to make a difference

samurai....you mean like stone pots/pans...i assume you can put anything that will suck up some of the heat? this prevents or lessens the temp swing???
Old 06-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Steel Addict

you can also try putting them in some kind of container with a lid(not airtight)
as the container will take the brunt of the temperature fluctuations and the inside more likely keeps a close to desired temp

you can also put you knives in a tray of sand for tempering. the thermal mass of the sand will help to absorb the temp swings before it gets to the blade. you will want the blade under the sand for best protection. can't find a definitive on how much sand you will need around the blade. but an 1"-2" would most likely suffice
be sure to use clean sand and something like a metal mud pan for drywall would work

Tags
440c, back, bee, blade, blades, book, buy, degrees, design, heat, heat treat, knife, knives, make, making, post, problem, sand, sell, shop, show, steel, stone, throw