MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Skilled

New TKCA Central Texas Knife Show

The latest TKCA news is that the TKCA is new Promoter of the Central Texas Knife Show, taking over from Chris Carlson, who has successfully produced the show for the past 9 years.

The officers and board met with Chris this past Saturday in New Braunfels at the Guadalupe Forge Winter Hammer-In, where he explained that he had grown tired of putting on the show totally by himself, and that he was wanting to back out of it, but didn't want to see the show have to fold. He agreed that if we would take over the show, he would help us out this year with the nuts and bolts operation and administration, and would help run the show, for a nominal fee, on the weekend of the show.

After a lengthy discussion with Chris, the board met privately and voted unanimously to assume the future responsibilities for producing the show. The name will be, Texas Knifemakers & Collectors Association Central Texas Knife Show. The confirmed dates for 2008, pending signing the hotel contract, are July 18-19-20 at The Williamson Hotel And Conference Center (behind the Wingate Inn) in Roundrock, TX. Current table holders will have 1st option to re-sign for their 2007 table space. We also want to invite back previous table holders, as well as new collectors and purveyors.

More information will follow as we have a few more of the details available. We'll need lots of help and support from the membership so be expecting a call from one of the board members when they start soliciting volunteers. Please spread the word....!!! Put it on your web sites, Show Calendars, and feel free to chat about it on other forums, etc.

We are a non-profit organization, so any ideas, or media contacts, that any of you have to help promote the show, are welcome.

More later.

Johnny Stout
President
Texas Knifemakers & Collectors Association

Old 03-18-2008, 02:18 PM

Superb! As I live in Belton and am looking to get into knife making shortly.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Anderson
Superb! As I live in Belton and am looking to get into knife making shortly.
Jason, if you have any media contacts in Belton, please give me a call to discuss how you can help us to promote the show in your area.

Thanks.

Johnny

Old 04-27-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stout
Jason, if you have any media contacts in Belton, please give me a call to discuss how you can help us to promote the show in your area.

Thanks.

Johnny
Hi Johnny, sorry I missed your post. Media contacts, well not really I used to be friends with a writer for the local paper but he moved to California a year or so back and I don't have a website yet.

Is there anything specific you have in mind?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:03 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Great news Johnny.
A TKCA show is what Texas needed, a show about knifemaking and collecting designed FOR knifemakers and collectors (and associated Friends-needs).
I was wondering when the Texas club would have a show of thier own, and how we would compete with other shows worldwide. Texas definately has the makers. We need to introduce more collectors to the group and show them how we do things, "Texas Style".

I've been to the Central Texas Knife Show every year so far, but look forward to this one more than any before. Time to put inject some Texan influence in the knifemaking world.

Fellow Texans (and friends who are not) time to band together for this window of opportunity. We need to support this show and spread the word of what we are doing here in Texas for the craft. Participation is essential for any show to work. Come be a part of a new start, a show we can call our own. Thank You and God bless you all.
Geno
Old 06-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Guru

I sent out invitation letters and a handfull of weekend passes to several dozen law enforcement and rescue groups in the greater Roundrock/North Austin vicinity. I've had pretty good resonses from some of the similar local groups. I figured those guys love to collect knives and have such an extensive network of friends, they would be passes well placed and hopefully result in a number of sales for table holders. We're trying hard to attract knifemakers/tableholders to the event by boosting attendance. Hopefully we'll see this continue to grow over the coming years.

I've stopped by all the local sporting goods/gun stores in B/CS and dropped off information as well with moderate response. My congo trip just got delayed another week, so I'll have several more days to finish mailing out some stuff. I'm forwarding the remaining passes to Leon and Johnny this week, so if somebody needs info on those contact one of them.

I *plan* on being there all day Saturday, so if ya'll need help with something I can help out. I'm still dealing with intercontinental trip scheduling so I have no idea about Friday or Sunday, though!

Last edited by Don Halter; 06-11-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the help, Don. Usted es un buen hombre, Amigo.

Wish i was 40 years younger and your sidekick on the Congo trip!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Guru

Hujambo bwana Robinson!
Come on along, we have two more trips planned! We might even get to swing by a knifemaker supply shop in Pratoria(Johannesburg suburb).

I was hoping to get some knives finished up and have a table at this summer's show. Now I'm going to be lucky just to be on the same continent that weekend! I'll actually be coming back from a conference in Pittsburgh that Thurs and probably heading out to Lubumbashi, DRC the following Friday.

Tutaonana!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Too bad, we'll miss you, Don. Have a really nice trip though!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Skilled

Gene, thanks for joining in on this thread. We still have nearly half our tables to sell, and little time left before the show. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing you with all the new videos, Damascus, and knives you'll have available. Continue to spread the word and have anyone wanting a table contact me or Leon Treiber for an application, or just call Zane at (325) 869-8821, or email blackwellknives@hotmail.com

Thanks to Don also for getting the VIP passes printed and distributed. This should generate a lot of street traffic and hopefully everyone with a pass will bring a friend and potential customer for our table holders.

Leon is getting some TKCA coffee mugs made......one will be given to each table holder, and we'll have others to sell to the public.... this should generate a little revenue for the club. TKCA member, Teddy Friesenhahn, has donated several "Slipjoint Adjustment Gauges". This is a tool that Bill Ruple came up with to set the tangs up on his now famous slipjoint folders. Teddy also has donated several custom arbors for holding a small rock surface grinding wheel for cutting nail nicks in slipjoint folders on the mill or drill press.

We'll accept donations from members or non-members for knives or knife related tools to be sold at the TKCA table. We still need volunteers to help man the admissions table and the TKCA table throughout the weekend.

Call me or Leon to get your name on the list.....we'll be doing the scheduling as the show gets closer. Help from wives and girlfriends will be accepted as well as friends and families.

Call me if you have any questions and I'll give you more details on what's been going on.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Johnny, my Mom, Laverne, will help fill in at the admissions table for two hr. shifts.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
Johnny, my Mom, Laverne, will help fill in at the admissions table for two hr. shifts.
Give Lavern our thanks Don..... now we need about a dozen more volunteers.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Guru

My wife is passing out flyers at our local cubscout summer camp tomorrow since many of the camp counselors expressed interest. I have a handful of corporate types with big wallets that will probably make an appearance as well. If they all enjoy themselves and tell a few friends about it, the show ought to grow each year.

Are we doing anything as far as offering a "registration form" for people who want to be on next year's mailing list?

I leave for the congo tomorrow morning, but I'll be in town the 7-12th and could probably print up some sign-up sheets for people to put their contact info if we don't already have them.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Halter
My wife is passing out flyers at our local cubscout summer camp tomorrow since many of the camp counselors expressed interest. I have a handful of corporate types with big wallets that will probably make an appearance as well. If they all enjoy themselves and tell a few friends about it, the show ought to grow each year.

That's good news Don, keep up the good work. We will definitely need to continue growing the show.

Are we doing anything as far as offering a "registration form" for people who want to be on next year's mailing list?

Not so far, but you've hit on another good idea. Our current mailing list leaves a lot to be desired.
Send them to Leon when they are ready and we'll make them available at the registration, as well as, the TKCA table.

I leave for the congo tomorrow morning, but I'll be in town the 7-12th and could probably print up some sign-up sheets for people to put their contact info if we don't already have them.

Send them to Leon when they are ready and we'll make them available at the registration, as well as the TKCA table.

Tags
forge, knife, knife making, knives