MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 12-25-2001, 05:09 PM
Raymond Richard

Don't unwrap me...(pic)

Finished this on Sunday. W-1 blade, osage orange handle, and mild steel fitings. The blade is just under 8"-- overall 13". This was forged from a 3/4" round bar. Ray

Old 12-25-2001, 06:20 PM
nifeman

Hey Raymond, I'm impressed!!! Thats one nice looking knife. Bud
Old 12-26-2001, 08:19 AM
Dana Acker

Hey Raymond, very nice knife, indeed. 3/4" W1 roundstock--I've done that before. That's a bunch of work flattening that out, but it paid off with a great looking finished product. Good work.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:27 AM
Don Cowles

Nice work, Ray!
Old 12-26-2001, 08:42 AM
MaxTheKnife

Hey Ray, that's quite a knife there old buddy. It don't take no rocket scientist to figure out you put a good deal of work into that rascal! Fully forged blade right down to the edge. That's great forge work and I mean it. Is that a full tang handle or hidden tang? If that's hidden tang construction it's very impressive. Double pinned with a pommel cap. Did you pein the tang on the pommel end or thread and screw it on? Nice job on the finish on the guard and pommel too by the way. That guard is the cat's meow.

Hey, where did you find W-1 in round stock? I'd sure like to get my hands on some of that. Anyway, great job dude.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:49 AM
Dana Acker

I get my W1 from McMasters & Carr

www.mcmaster.com

Old 12-26-2001, 09:36 AM
Raymond Richard

Re: Thanks for unwrapping me......

Really appreciate all of your comments on the knife. Max, as usual you had the most questions so I'll try to answer them for you. As for the W-1 I've had the rod for years, I believe it was the first steel I bought when I got the knife making bug and if I remember it seemed pretty high at the time. Just about anything seems high when you been getting your leaf springs for free. USE Enco has the best price that I've found, think its like 7 or 8 bucks for a 3' x 3/4" round. That is a hidden sub tang, for some reason I cut it short so it just runs under 4". The butt cap is peined onto a steel rod that was flaired and glued. The guard on that knife is my first attempt of that style and it worked on the first try and thats a first. Got the osage orange from Wayne Goddard, first time for that brand of wood also. I never realized it also grows here is Oregon, that was from Wayne's own tree. Dana, I do appreciate you pulling up the old post on (Forging to the edge.) It was that posting, what Tai also added, and the picture of (Tim Lively's Frontier Bowie) that helped get that knife out. I have wanted to be able forge a blade with definate bevels in it and finally started to see them when I took it down to the edge. Now to get the bevels straight that is a different story. Dana, also there's a story on the O-1 I thought I had found last week on the Electric Fence Post, under (Have you ever). Max, you'll get a kick out of that. Thanks to my son for helping me get the picture up. I'm a big boy but I can't figure how to do that myself yet.. Ray
Old 12-26-2001, 09:58 AM
beknives

Re: Thanks for unwrapping me......

She looks really AWESOME ray..
Glad to see you finally finish one,it's been awhile,I bet you have a couple dozen or more to get handled now,That fire and hot steel just keeps hollering to be used though..
Thoe are some nice bevels in this blade,and sweet guard also.
Bruce
Old 12-26-2001, 10:14 AM
Raymond Richard

Re: Thanks for unwrapping me....

Thanks for the kind words Bruce, I'm still learning. Do think I hear my forge calling me. Please lite my fire. I'm comming... Ray
Old 12-26-2001, 03:23 PM
Bob Warner

Re: Thanks for unwrapping me....

My son said the best part of knifemaking is the OOHs and the AAHs. Looks like you are at the best part of this knife.

Looks good Ray, can I have it?
Old 12-26-2001, 05:02 PM
Raymond Richard

Re:Thanks for unwrapping me....

Yes Bob, you can have it except you'll just have to grease my hand. Is Kevin letting you in his shop? Really great that the two of you have like interest. I can see the sign, WARNER AND SON CUSTOM KNIVES. I'm going out to my shop and work on that knives bigger brother. Ray
Old 12-26-2001, 05:06 PM
ghostdog

Re: Very Nice

Ray very nice. Really sweet. It all flows.

ghostdog
Old 12-26-2001, 05:26 PM
Cactusforge

Re: Very Nice

Good job Ray it looks like you have it down pretty good Gib
Old 12-31-2001, 03:01 PM
Raymond Richard

Re: Nice

Thanks Ghostdog and Gib, should have thanked you two earlier but would have felt guilty about getting this up to the top. The guilt is gone. Ray

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives