MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Enthusiast

whew what a day

after a bad day in the shop yesterday where i had to tear off scales from 2 blades,picked up a pack of 7/64 bits that were supposed to be 1/8.any way finally got all my parts and metal together to start my grinder build,been after it and a damascus final for 12 hrs strait. made great progress on the build but forgot to order another wheel for the platen so looks like be a while longer unless i can scrounge 1 up tomorrow,anyone tried usin skateboard wheels for that kind of application?looks like they could be used but havent got my hands on 1 to verifify. no pics to day but will try some tomorrow and see i they'll let me post em
Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Master

look forward to the pics !!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Master

Haha that's funny man I was thinkin of using those wide skateboard wheels for my grinder build. I read somewhere about a guy that used them and it seemed to work out. Most skateboards have some pretty good bearings and the rubber goes through a lot if abuse too. You can even get ceramic bearings that will nearly last a lifetime as long as the seals stay good.
I used ceramic bearings in one of my nitro rc motors and they rev at around 36,000 rpm and sometimes higher plus they are running at 260f.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Enthusiast

all i lack is mounting the motor tomorrow after i get a bigger pulley.took a litle while gettin everything all lined up and rollin correctly but she looks like im good .gon with the 110 ,1 1/2 hrs .right now till i can get my wiring upgraded to the shop.havent played with the skate wheels yet.tryin to get a head on some blades for the upcoming rodeo
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 AM

I used skate board and roller blade wheels to convert an old 1"x42" craftsman into a speciality grinder.
Still working strong. Had to dress the RBs for a flat surface but wanted the additional diameter for the project. The smaller shaft issue might give flex/vibration problems on a full size belt grinder. Watch your speeds.......skate boards wheel pulling 3600+ is a scary thought! (specailly if you're still on the board)

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Enthusiast

thanx carl may have to replace with some of the better bearings.

Tags
bee, blade, build, craftsman, damascus, knife, made, man, post, project, scales