MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Master

...if birds think your forge is a good place to nest...

...if your knives demonstrate highly skilled hammer work...

...if your three year old knows who Tai Goo is...

...if you have a funky name like "NT Cough'n Toad Hill"...
Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Skilled

If the night of the full moon arrives and you haven't gotten the "call to come forge" and it puts you in a funk (thank God there are two full ones this month--they only come around once in a "blue moon" ya know). azmike
Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Master

I hear ya Mike.

...if your forge doubles as a grill...

Old 05-03-2007, 08:34 AM

Yep!

...If you've ever forged to Blaine's didgeridoo.

...If you've ever made a knife titled, "Coyote Poop".

Old 05-03-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers
Well, I can see it's a lot of things to different people! That's kind of the point of our project though - to be able to give Newbies some idea of what these terms mean. We aren't trying to limit the meaning or restrict it but we would like to be able to state the essence of it.

We'd be happy to say it's a school of knife making founded by Tai Goo if that's your take on it. It could be knives made with wood or coal fire, forged out by primitive means if that's how you see it. It could apply only to knives made under a full moon while having a blue butt......it's not my call. But, whatever you decide may be how you will be known to future knife makers so it's worth some consideration....
Ray, here's the "official" statement:
http://www.neo-tribalmetalsmiths.com/

Old 05-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Neo-Tribal: a style of knife making that prefers to use recycled materials, harvest their own wood, uses rosins instead of glue, often forges in wood or coal fires, keeps the use of electricity to a minimum, to produce knives with a high level of sophistication and artistry.

This is how I rendered down what you have given me so far. If it doesn't match your view of Neo-Tribal, now would be a good time to offer some refinements or changes....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Steel Addict

These are pretty entertaining, and I wouldn't want to start any kind of an argument over it, but I think Ray wants a slightly more succinct -- and slightly less tongue-in-cheek -- answer. How's this for a start:

"A school of bladesmithing that emphasizes simplicity of techniques, equipment and materials, though not necessarily results, and finds inspiration in historic and even prehistoric methods. Neo-tribal smiths often (though not always) use simple, handmade solid fuel forges, hand-cranked blowers or bellows, and recycled steels and other materials. They tend to emphasize hand work over power tools, creative solutions over technology. Some make a point to use no power tools at all. Founders of the Neo-Tribal 'movement' include Tai Goo and Tim Lively."

I don't offer that as a complete definition, and some may feel it's not even a good partial definition. That's OK. It's just a place to start.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:59 AM

Looks like we were posting over each other. Thanks for the link Tai, that helps a lot. Using what I got from the link, I would now offer this as a definition:

Neo-Tribal: a style of knife making that combines ancient and modern tools, materials, and techniques which can include such things as harvesting their own wood, using rosins instead of glue, forging in wood or coal fires, keeping the use of electricity to a minimum, to produce knives with an emphasis on high-quality and original hand craftsmanship, innovation, and the efficient use of resources.

Notice that I didn't say that a knife made by Neo-Tribal methods must be made by the processes that I listed, just that these processes are among the most likely to be used in a knife described as Neo-Tribal. Again, if you think changes are needed, now is the time...

Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 AM

Matt,

Sorry, I posted over you this time. But, I like your definition too although I might trim a few words. Before I do that though, I'll wait to see what kind of feedback we get ....

Old 05-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Steel Addict

Well, I think Tai's "official" definition pretty well captures what I was trying to get at. I just didn't see it before I posted my own. (It took me a bit to come up with that.)
Old 05-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt22191
These are pretty entertaining, and I wouldn't want to start any kind of an argument over it, but I think Ray wants a slightly more succinct -- and slightly less tongue-in-cheek -- answer. How's this for a start:

"A school of bladesmithing that emphasizes simplicity of techniques, equipment and materials, though not necessarily results, and finds inspiration in historic and even prehistoric methods. Neo-tribal smiths often (though not always) use simple, handmade solid fuel forges, hand-cranked blowers or bellows, and recycled steels and other materials. They tend to emphasize hand work over power tools, creative solutions over technology. Some make a point to use no power tools at all. Founders of the Neo-Tribal 'movement' include Tai Goo and Tim Lively."

I don't offer that as a complete definition, and some may feel it's not even a good partial definition. That's OK. It's just a place to start.
There were many "founding members" or co-founders, who help promote and popularize the original Neo-Tribal concept, including Tim.

When the original concept was formed, I was looking for a more "recreational approach" to bladesmithing, something folks could do in their backyards with a minimal cash investment, (which turned out to be similar to Wayne Goddards "$50 Dollar Knife Shop"). It was about having "fun" at bladesmithing and promoting new growth in the craft.

As time went by there became a commercial demand for that type of work. We now have Professional Neo Tribals. The N-T movement is being defined by it's members,? It?s alive and here to stay.

Neo-Tribal= "New Community".

Old 05-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Steel Addict

At the end of the day your eyes are bloodshot, your ears are ringing, your hands look too dirty to eat with 'em after you washed them, and your wife and kids wont get within 10 feet of you.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhill
...if birds think your forge is a good place to nest...
It's an omen!

Hey! Speaking of birds...
I knew I might be Neo-Tribal when, .... I was giving a lesson to a local student and a dove flew in the shop and roosted on my head! Sure wish I had a pic of that!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:26 AM

You know you might be Neo-Tribal if...?

Dana and the peddle grinder.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:31 AM

1995,... The Neo-Tribal concept is born!

... holding "Liberty?s Torch".
From "TRIBAL NOW!" the original publication of the NTMs.

Last edited by Tai Google; 05-03-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives