MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 10-11-2001, 05:56 PM
Josh Blount

Traditional Sheath

Hello,
Does anyone out there make any type of traditional sheath for a buckskinner or longhunter knife? Being a history buff, I like to make knives from this period, and I'd like to have sheaths that fit as well. For the last sheath I made, I used 6-7 oz vegetable tan, formed it to the knife, and stitched it like normal. Then I sewed buckskin over the cowhide kind of like a sock. This works fine, but given that it takes me about 15 hours to make buckskin out of my deer hides, I try to use it sparingly. Does anybody have any ideas for other leathers, or another way to do this? I've thought about either a suede split or a chrome-tanned with the grain side in, but I'm not sure what that would look like. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Josh Blount
Wytheville, VA
Old 10-14-2001, 07:37 PM
ghostdog

Hey Josh,
That company you posted about in the supplier thread has a leather they sell that they say is a good buckskin replacement. Also you may want to post your question over on the Neo-Tribal site here on CKD. There are a few re-enactor and historically accurate type guys over there who may have some info for you. Just go to the bottom of the page here and use the jump site to getcha to the Outpost.

ghostdog

Tags
knife, knives