MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Steel Addict

carry knife

i am thinking about doing a fixed blade knife for a prsent for my brother. he is heading to alaska in may to hunt bear...and i imagine a nice new knife would look good on his belt. i really like the looks of thr maverick..but it seems so long...just wondering what people feel is an ideal length for a belt knife..that will be carried all day in the field etc......or what, if any do they think is too long to be comfortable, useable to be worn. thanks all...this place is addicting...
Old 10-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Master

Clash-
I really think it depends on the person and situation their in. For example on the weekends working around the house I usually carry a 3 1/2" fixed blade - perfect for most of my chores and if I need to run into Wal-Mart for something I don't scare the old ladies. Camping is a different storie - I usually carry a 7" nessmuk style knife or a khurkri. Hunting - yet a different knife. The maverick is a nice size hunting/utility knife - I tihink your brother would be happy with it on his side.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 10-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRuhlig
Clash-
I really think it depends on the person and situation their in. For example on the weekends working around the house I usually carry a 3 1/2" fixed blade - perfect for most of my chores and if I need to run into Wal-Mart for something I don't scare the old ladies. Camping is a different storie - I usually carry a 7" nessmuk style knife or a khurkri. Hunting - yet a different knife. The maverick is a nice size hunting/utility knife - I tihink your brother would be happy with it on his side.
-Dave

thanks dave..ya this wouldn't be an every day carry..just for hunting trips. i am going back and forth between the maverick, the tapered tang hunter and the modern skinner

anyone have any opinions or advice for any or all of these knives. as a total newbie are these knives too involved for me??

also, is it up to me to make a sheath?? or are there sheaths available for these knives??

i kind of like the idea of making one....

Last edited by TheClash; 10-19-2007 at 03:24 PM.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives