MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Skilled

Nice Porta-Band Mount system

When I first saw this I was tempted to make something similar from material around the shop. After a little more consideration I decided this is his idea, there are other things I want to do and he probably does his thing better than I could on a one-off situation. So I ordered one and it came yesterday. I'm impressed with how heavy and well made this thing is. I'm also pleased it apparently came from a small shop like some of us here, not from a foreign sweat factory.
No affiliation at all, just a happy customer like we want.

Matt

Old 12-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Skilled

I could barely understand a single word he said, but it looks like a really good product and a great idea.

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
Check it out and Subscribe!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Steel Addict

I saw this post last week and have been itching a bit since. I just pulled the trigger on one, it should be up in AK by the time I get back next week.

Thanks for posting this one. It will definitely be a great timesaver in my shop.

* UPDATE,

It is now 8 hrs later and my eyes hurt.
I read all the reviews on both saws and have a Dewalt on the way. I was thinking I was going to grab one at Lowes while I was down here in VA and save on the shipping but I started checking prices, the local HD and Lowes had both saws here for $299. I came back to the room and searched the prices and found Amazon.com to be $25 less with free shipping.

DEWALT DWM120K 10 Amp 5-Inch Deep Cut Portable Band Saw Kit was $275 shipped

Amazon.com is great for us isolated folks.

Last edited by AKmik; 01-17-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Skilled

AKmik,
So how do you like your stand? I got the same saw. I'm real pleased with the stand not so much with the saw. So far I've found that saw great for most things but for what I wanted it isn't. The motor is in the way a lot. I can't split the center out of a 1" square bar of damascus more than 5" at a time, the waste hits the motor, there is no clearence. And the blade gave me fits wandering around. I could follow a line on top, but on the bottom side it was all over. I picked up a used Porter-Cable with the motor mounted with the bottom wheel. I hope it will work out better for my purposes but it isn't going to mount easy in the stand.
Matt

Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Steel Addict

Matt,

I got everything here, I have not set it up yet. I just decided to re arrange my shop some.

I need to separate all my wood working gear from the metal chip flinging gear. I will probably run it in the next few days, I need to profile a bunch of blades and will see if it is useful.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Steel Addict

Well gents,

I have been running the porta band in my shop for over a year now, this thing has been an excellent addition to my shop. I would highly reccomend it.

The throat depth is obviously a little small since the porta band saws are much smaller than a full sized saw, but that has not really bothered me at all. I am mostly cutting flat blade stock, or 1/4" mild flat stock.

It makes quick work of roughing out blanks and just about any steel cutting I have needed to do. Worth every penny, and it looks like he has improved the design on the latest model.

I also wanted to mention he was great to deal with and shipped very fast.

If the small saw size works for your needs its great. Beats the heck out of a hacksaw or cut off wheel I was using to cut my steel.

Tags
bee, blade, damascus, design, flat, knife, mount, post, steel