MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Enthusiast

Search

Can anyone tell me if there is a better way to use search.
Example: I search for D-2 200 threads. every knife made with D-2 comes up. I just want general D-2 info. How is it for edge retention, heat treat info, what the best use for this steel is, etc. but with that many threads from search I could read for hours and not find what I want.
So can anyone tell me how to use the search the rite way. And tell me about d-2 while you are at it. And can I heat treat it with a torch and a magnet like 1080 and others? What to temper at? And anything else you can tell me bout it.
Thanks from the one not smart nuff to know how to search.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Steel Addict

Crucibles info on D2
http://www.crucibleservice.com/datas...TOKEN=42903163

You wont have much success trying to heat treat D2 with a torch as it requires a controlled temperature between 1825 and 1875 degrees for 1/2 hr. to austenize properly. As for edge holding I can't say personally as I don't use it.

When using the search, be more precise in what you are searching for. If you only use "d2" of course you are going to get every thread that ever mentioned D2. Instead, try "d2 edge retention" or "D2 edge holding" or "D2 heat treat" and you will have much more success.

If you are a newbie and want to heat treat your own blades, I would suggest sticking with simple carbon steels for now. The 10xx series steels make a great knife without a doubt. Getting the proper equipment to heat treat stainless steels can put a big dent in your wallet. If you really want to do stainless blades, there are a number of places you can send them out to for heat treat once you have them ground out and ready.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Guru

If you use advanced search you can choose which forums to search, so you can leave out the gallery etc.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 04-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Here's some comments from the late Bob Engnath. Click on the Steels button on the left side of the page.

http://www.engnath.com/public/manframe.htm
Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Skilled

D2 is the perfect steel, my opinion of course, but I think you will love it. I would heat treat on the hotter side, say 1850 to 1875. You will be pleased...
Old 05-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Skilled

D2 is a great steel, but as it has been said, it is not one to torch harden. And I understand it to be "stainless like" but not a true stainless steel as such. You will pay a lot for D2 and will end up with crap if you try to torch it..... Now if you want to send it off, that's a whole nuther story. TKS will HT it reasonably as will others. It makes a super knife. I can say this, if you use some, sand it down as close to final finish as you can before HT because once it is hardened/tempered, it eats sandpaper for lunch

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576

Tags
blade, knife