MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 10-30-2002, 10:23 AM

Canadians

Just curious to know if other Canadians have purchased kits and what types they have been allowed to get across the border and what kind of fees customs want.

Thanks for the help and info.

Last edited by Varjeal; 10-30-2002 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:40 PM
Registered

Yes, I have brought over three of the kits, though I have not tackled one of them yet. However I had no problems whatsoever getting them across the border. I had them sent through the courrier though, which was very expensive, as you are charged for the brokerage. Even though it is a slightly slower method, have them sent US postal- it will save you considerable. Good Luck!!
Old 10-30-2002, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

There are no customs or duty charges as the "kits" are made in the USA. You will be charged(gouged) for the exchange rate to US dollars. No problems getting then across the border but or government will probably have a knife registry soon anyway to compliment our gun registry.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:20 PM

Thanks guys

Thanks for the info. re: knife registry.
Yeah, I could see that happening. *smirk* Anyways, have a good one everybody and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yeah Canada!
Old 10-31-2002, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

Hi from Calgary! I've ordered from Darrel, Jantz, TKS and various other suppliers and typically had no problems. I try to go parcel post wherever possible - longer but costs less to ship. The blades I ordered from Darrel took about 7 working days. If you go UPS, they use Peacebridge Brokers to clear it (into Calgary, anyway) and you can expect to get hit pretty hard. The exchange is tough enough to deal with!!! With the postal service the duty is pretty nominal. I just ordered a couple of kits from Darrel - total cost was around $50-60 US plus shipping and the duty for it was $10.00 CDN, give or take.

In contrast - I bought a couple of holders for my pool cues plus some tips but the company would only ship UPS. (You know how this hobby thing works - you don't really NEED it, but you have to have it!!!) Total cost of stuff ordered was around $85.00 CDN (about $55 USD). You can imagine my surprise when I got an invoice from Peacebridge for $79.00 CDN!!

Types of blades I've ordered - I've gotten TC-4's and folders from Darrel, Jantz and TKS I've gotten mostly hunters and kitchen cutlery stuff. I've only seen one or two shipments that have that "Inspected" label on them, and nothing was confiscated, just not as well re-packed. I keep eyeing that Goliath's dagger in the Jantz catalog, but I'm not so sure it would make it across if it got inspected. I believe they are illegal in Canada.

Hope this helps - gord

Hope this helps - gord

Old 10-31-2002, 04:31 PM

Thanks AGAIN!

Thanks GordonK for the info. Nice to hear from some locals.

I remember a few years ago I ordered a Gil Hibben limited edition and when I got the customs bill it doubled the price almost exactly so I was pretty miffed about that.

So much for free trade huh?

Maybe we should hit the admins here up to start a Cajun forum?!

Tags
knife, knives