MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Steel Addict

Folder Blade Pin Vise Prototype

I was grinding away this morning with my blade held in a pare of ViseGrips and thought there had to be a better way. after a bit of head scratching I came up with this prototype pin vise. I brazed a Carbide pads on the front after seeing the nice carbide file guides that Bruce Bump makes (which I missed out on). after grinding two blades all I can say is why didn't I do this earlier. the vise holds the blade way better than the ViseGrips with much better control of the blade angle with NO marring of the pivot point and the carbide on the front doesn't even hardly show a shine after being shoved right up against the Blaze belts. I wish I had spent a little more time on the prototype and then I wouldn't have to think about it again... HA

Erik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eriks pin vice 2 resized.jpg (22.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg eriks pin vice resized.jpg (21.6 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by cnccutter; 09-01-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Skilled

Neat idea ! Care to make another one ?

Joe
Old 09-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Joe, but I'm still working out the kinks. I have had a few good ideas that I think need integrating into the full model. after using mine I am going to knurl the handle on the next one to give a little added control. on the prototype I used what carbide I had in my tool chest and the size needs to be changed a bit.

as far as selling them I have been pondering that thought but before I do that I need to figure out how to make them and then sell them at a fair cost and good quality to you. I'm working on that part now, I'll keep you posted if and when I make the jump and start selling. I think it will happen, but may take a little while to work it all out.

Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe sangster View Post
Neat idea ! Care to make another one ?

Joe

Tags
angle, bee, blade, blaze, file, folder, grinding, handle, how to, knife, make, pivot