MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Steel Addict

Got my new drill press

After the possible mill/drill fell through, I picked my fall back. I'd been doing some reading on reviews of bench top drill presses and found a Jet 12" that had mechanical variable speed and a digital speed read out. It was rated pretty highly except for the 1/3 hp motor (could bog a bit with forstner bits), but I don't plan on using one for big stuff.

When looking for the drill press, I stumbled onto what apparently is a clone of the Jet, under the name Masterforce, sold by Menard's. I had to pay shipping since I don't live close to a store, but it was still a ways cheaper than the Jet and so far seems to be a great buy.

I assembled it all which was pretty easy and a little tap on the table got it square with the spindle. I remember watching Steve at his hammer in changing speeds several times during his demo. The variable speed is REALLY nice, no need to open the top up and change the pulleys and seeing the speed should be nice for using the small bits and reamers and drilling Ti along with other materials. The table top isn't as highly polished as some higher end tables are, but all in all, I'm pretty pleased with the purchase.

Thanks to everyone who gave some advice when I was looking for help on drill presses.

Jeremy
Old 01-27-2014, 11:27 PM
Master

Way to go Jeremy. Where's the pile-o-curly q's all over the place.

Take care, Craig
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Steel Addict

just outside the frame to the left... I have the floor drill press next to this little bench area with a cross slide vise on it. There are a LOT of those little curly q's (translated as "big mess") all over that one. I'm hoping I do better with keeping things cleaned up on this one and the big one can be the ugly, messy one .

Jeremy
Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I'm hoping I do better with keeping things cleaned up on this one and the big one can be the ugly, messy one .

Jeremy
Good luck with that. Let us know how that works out for ya.

I bought that Jet infinitely variable speed drill press this past fall. It had such a bad spindle 'wobble' and vibration that I took it back. It was horrible. I messed with it for a couple hours and found no way to get rid of it.

I have 5 drill presses now and always looking for another deal on a good one.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Steel Addict

Ya, time will tell on the clean vs. messy...guessing I know where it'll end up . Sorry to hear your Jet didn't work out-was it the 12" bench top model (JDP-12)? I've only messed with mine a little bit, but the spindle seemed solid. I guess time will tell, I sure hope it works fine. Would suck trying to ship it back...

I'd be curious for any shop pics, John. I remember the setup you had when I stopped by in MT, but sounds like you've added some stuff. I always like seeing what other guys have and what's most useful. I know before, I wouldn't have thought more than one drill press would be good-I could see having a whole wall of them, now . Hope you're managing to keep warm up in the frozen north.

Jeremy

Tags
advice, back, bee, demo, digital, drill, easy, hammer, image, john, materials, motor, press, store, tools, vise, wobble