MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 06-05-2002, 08:30 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Books on folders...

Of the books that are available, which one(s) have the best over view of all the different type folders and the most detailed for all the different types?
Old 06-06-2002, 08:33 AM
Jason G Howell

I have Bob Terzoula's book on linerlock type knives, but he has much more on tips` tricks, and jigs. Great book. I also own one about slip joints by 3 different makers, How to make folding knives. It too is a good book. I can't think of one out there covering all types of folders though. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2002, 03:52 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Thx Jason!!
Old 06-06-2002, 09:53 PM
Chris Crawford

Books on Folders

Are you interested in information on how to make the different folders, or just historical information on different types of folders?

-chris
Old 06-06-2002, 11:02 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Re: Books on Folders

Hi Chris C.,
I am looking into how to books, I have been playing around some with folders and figured the books would be of help and cut the learning curve.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:00 AM
Chris Crawford

Books on Folders

Mike

I have several "How To" books on folder making, ("The Tactical Folding Knife", "How to Make Folding Knives", "How to Make Multi-Blade Folding Knives",) but the best book for a beginer to me is "Custom Knifemaking, 10 Projects from a Master Craftsman" by Tim McCreight.

This book, as the title says, has 10 different knife projects. One of the projects is on how to make a Slip-Joint folder. Another project is on how to make a Lock-Back folder.

The nice thing about this book is that the projects use basic tools that any knifemaker would have in the shop. No milling machines or surface grinders like in the other books. If you have those tools, even the better. However, you don't need them.

I've also put a tutorial up on my website on how to make a slip-joint folder with basic shop tools. It has something like 140 photos with it, so it's very detailed.

Well, I hope this helped. -chris

www.chriscrawford.com/knives

Old 06-07-2002, 11:27 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Re: Books on Folders

Well I went and ordered the books by Lake and Terzoula from Texas Knife Supply. I have a working prototype in the shop now (thanks to the three GREAT tutorials the CKD has on folders) I just wanted to get a little more studying done before I went much further. Bad habits are easy to break if caught early enough, of hope they are.

Thanks for the help.
Mike K.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:51 PM

Mike,
I just recieved and watched Peter Atwood's video on frame lock folders. The video is quite good. It is also nice to see him make a great folder with the tools you probably already have.
Mark
Old 06-19-2002, 12:16 AM

What about a linerlock video? I've been toying witht the idea, myself. I did the tutorial and have had some real good feedback on it, but a video would sure fill any holes that the tutorial could NOT fill.

Good, bad idea?

http://www.howellbladesmith.com
Old 06-19-2002, 05:36 AM
Skilled

Mark,
Fill us in on the info. of where we may acquire this video. Sounds like a good one for those with more basic tools.

Jason,
Many people would benefit from a video,sometimes a different medium (tape,book,tutorial with snap shots,...) is what it takes to fully understand what needs to be done and clearify things that may have let us scratching our heads. Good luck and hope to see your video soon.

Last edited by mike koller; 06-19-2002 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:48 PM

I for one would really like to get hold of a good liner lock video. It would be just the catalyst
I need to get me to make one from "scratch".
I feel I'm nearly ready, just need a good kick.
Dennis
Old 06-19-2002, 07:55 PM

Atwood Video

Dennis,

Get ready for the next step in your addiction.

Peter Atwood's Folder Video

It is well put together and informative. It really shows you what you can do in a basic shop.

Bob Sigmon
Old 06-20-2002, 09:06 PM
Steel Addict

I have Peter's video also, and it's worth getting. -chris

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife, knives