MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a monthly knife making challenge?
Yes 16 53.33%
Nope 1 3.33%
Maybe/not sure 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2012, 03:05 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Jensen View Post
I might be in. We'll see how busy I am. I'm a natural handle material guy so it sort of hinges on if I can find something synthetic I like.

But other than that, super easy. Carbon steel with blunt tip? Straight razor.
Good thinking, Eli!. I'm still contemplating on a design.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:12 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy View Post
Not sure I can do this but have some input. Jan 1. is the start that would be asking people to buy supplies during Christmas season. That could be very tight for some. Jan. 15th would better, get in an extra payday. Also I no this was brought up but it is not clear in the rules we would of had to read most of the thread, so can you clarify the 75% is that min. or max. how will this be determined? Not sure I understand the lack of having a point. What would be the point??
You could make the 15th work for you. I'm getting mine together now. He had stated that 75 was the minimum on the synthetic. No pointy tip? Yeah, that through me for a loop too, but it does make you think outside the box.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Steel Addict

I will be putting in a full explanation on Jan 1 in a new thread, with rules, links and such.

Not having a point to the knife is an optional challenge to get your brains a moving and get away from your normal designs. If you don't want to go for the optional challenge, you don't have to.

I'm talking to a couple of different suppliers about putting together a short kit with the basics needed to join this contest, I'll also be providing links when the contest goes live.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakethings View Post
I will be putting in a full explanation on Jan 1 in a new thread, with rules, links and such.

Not having a point to the knife is an optional challenge to get your brains a moving and get away from your normal designs. If you don't want to go for the optional challenge, you don't have to.

I'm talking to a couple of different suppliers about putting together a short kit with the basics needed to join this contest, I'll also be providing links when the contest goes live.
Awesome Bro! Thank you for taking time out of your life to put this together. I'm looking forward to this.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Steel Addict

It's fun to see what other people can do with similar or the same materials. Also as a side note, if things are looking tight and not everyone can join on soon after the start date there is the option to extend things. After all the only folks we're accountable to here are ourselves.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Steel Addict

hey guys help me out w/ this no point. I can't think of anything. At 1st a Nessmuk came to mine but I went back and looked and it still has a point. What would be an example? And I already thought about putting a spoon on the end.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Master

Piggy, look at straight razors
Old 11-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Steel Addict

thanks Eli. I have plenty of thoughts on a handle. But throwing out the no point as a challenge kind of hits me like a, "double dog dare you"! The strait razor does give me some direction.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Skilled

I'm doing a take on a bullnose.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Steel Addict

maybe a sheepsfoot? I may be in on this
Old 11-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Steel Addict

All the consternation regarding design is why I tossed the optional challenge in there, but remember it's not necessary.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Steel Addict

So Imakethings can we blame you for being part of this conspiracy? This is almost to funny to believe. I guess none of them have ever gutted a fish or cleaned a rabbit, I can't imagine not using a point but I could if I had to.

Risks of Pointy Knives
An article in the British Medical Journal recommends that long pointy knives be banned because they're a stabbing risk.

Of course it's ridiculous. (I wrote about this kind of thing two days ago, in the context of cell phones on airplanes. Banning something with good uses just because there are also bad uses is rarely a good security trade-off.)
But the researchers actually have a point -- so to speak -- when they say that there's no good reason for long knives to be pointy. From the BBC:
The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.
They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.
None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.
I do a lot of cooking, and have all my life. I never use a long knife to stab. I never use the point of a chef's knife, or the point of any other long knife. I rarely stab at all, and when I do, I'm using a small utility knife or a petty knife.
Okay, then. Why are so many large knives pointy? Carving knives aren't pointy. Bread knives aren't pointy. I can rock my chef's knife just as easily on a rounded end.
Anyone know? Bruce Schneier

Last edited by piggy; 11-24-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy View Post
So Imakethings can we blame you for being part of this conspiracy? This is almost to funny to believe. I guess none of them have ever gutted a fish or cleaned a rabbit, I can't imagine not using a point but I could if I had to.

Risks of Pointy Knives
An article in the British Medical Journal recommends that long pointy knives be banned because they're a stabbing risk.

Of course it's ridiculous. (I wrote about this kind of thing two days ago, in the context of cell phones on airplanes. Banning something with good uses just because there are also bad uses is rarely a good security trade-off.)
But the researchers actually have a point -- so to speak -- when they say that there's no good reason for long knives to be pointy. From the BBC:
The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.
They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.
None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.
I do a lot of cooking, and have all my life. I never use a long knife to stab. I never use the point of a chef's knife, or the point of any other long knife. I rarely stab at all, and when I do, I'm using a small utility knife or a petty knife.
Okay, then. Why are so many large knives pointy? Carving knives aren't pointy. Bread knives aren't pointy. I can rock my chef's knife just as easily on a rounded end.
Anyone know? Bruce Schneier
I also rarely use the tip on larger knives, but sometimes they can come in handy. For example when you go camping and forget your can opener and don't have a small pointy knife on you (happened to me once). On blades like machetes I don't think I've ever actually used the tip other than to help stick it in the ground or a log. I think a lot of it comes from tradition.

With that said I am 100% against government intervention in such matters. Just because an object has the potential to be used as a weapon doesn't mean it should be banned. You ban pointy knives then killers will just hack u with a knife that doesn;t have a point. You ban knives in general and they will club you to death with a hammer, etc etc. Criminals don't really care what the government considers illegal and if they want to commit a crime they are going to find a way.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Master

Cain didn't kill Abel with a knife. Lets ban rocks.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Steel Addict

No I'm not part of any conspiracy, I just wanted to throw a monkey wrench into the works to see what you folks would think of and do.
I've got an idea or two myself for this build, and if we do this again and I'm coordinating, I'm going to come up with another odd challenge. If you guys have any suggestions for other twists to throw into the challenge feel free to throw them in as suggestions.

Tags
awesome, axe, back, bee, blade, build, building, damascus, easy, fire, forge, hobby, kit, kit knife, knife, knife making, knives, made, making, material, materials, package, sheath, steel, stock removal