MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Registered

Another newb

I was bumming around on youtube this morning and stumbled across some videos of people making knives. I thought it looked interesting and figured it couldnt be that hard. So I went to my garage determined to make a knife today. Needless to say it was much harder than the video made it look and thus the reason I found this forum.

I dont really have any specific questions yet but just wanted to introduce myself cause I know the questions will be coming in the next few weeks.

BTW I did manage to make something close to a knife today. I used the middle section of a laminated chainsaw bar for the blade and the leg from an old table that we dont use anymore for the scales. I know it is a very crude knife and is probably the wrong kind of metal but I just wanted to see what it was like to make one.

Here is a pic but please take it easy I had no idea what I was doing ...

Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Welcome. Knife making is one of those things that's not all that hard-once you've learned how to do it. The learning can be interesting. The old chainsaw bar is probably going to have enough carbon in it to harden (You did harden and temper it? Or not?) but a known steel will give you a better idea of how to do that. Your knife actually does have a rather useful look to it. Not bad for as far as you went.

I'm sure that you will have questions so don't be shy. Ask away.

Doug

Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 AM

Like Doug said, easier once you learn how, but the learning journey is the best part for most. Kind of an in-house adventure.
Suggest you fill out your profile better. There maybe a maker right around the corner that can help guide you in the right direction.
Not wanting to throw water on the fire, but most of the laminated chnsw bars's center cores are mild or lower carbon steel....no need for more expensive hi-carb in the center. Be better off getting some known steel to learn and work as you begin. Cuts way down on the multitude of variables you will encounter as you learn to make knives.
This is a good place to get answers and encouragement, so stick with it and keep us posted.
Also agree that your design shows a leaning toward good form/function.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Registered

I dont know what kind of steel it is and did not try to heat treat it as I figured without knowing exactly what kind of steel it is there is no way to know how to properly heat treat it.

I was just playing around to see if I could even get something that even resembled a knife.

I am going to order some 1084 from Aldo and also a bunch of belts for an old 1x30 that I have just laying around.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 AM

If you reside in the SE US, you are welcome to join us at Trackrock in a couple of weeks. You can learn quite a bit in short order.
If not look around for knife clubs, guilds, hammer-in's in your neck of the woods and get hooked up. You'll not regret it.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 AM

I am a newbie myself and have not made the leap to actually making a knife as of yet. Still getting my workshop finished and aquiring tools along the way. I just wanted to commet on your design. Nice looking knife!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast

anyone in the central Tennessee area or thereabouts is welcome to come up to my shop anytime but call first 931-454-9943. Bob Levine Knifemakers guild
Old 03-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshman1204 View Post
I dont know what kind of steel it is and did not try to heat treat it as I figured without knowing exactly what kind of steel it is there is no way to know how to properly heat treat it.

I was just playing around to see if I could even get something that even resembled a knife.

I am going to order some 1084 from Aldo and also a bunch of belts for an old 1x30 that I have just laying around.
Welcome to a very fun hobby/trade.
Most of us are very happy to help new people get into knife making, so update your profile and see if there are any knife makers in your region.

1084 is an excellent choice for starting out, and quite honestly your first attempt is pretty good. I've been working with a 1x30 grinder for awhile, I'd love to have a larger one but it will work for smaller knives just fine. Getting the knack for getting the bevels straight is tricky, especially on a smaller grinder.

Tags
blade, chainsaw, design, easy, fire, hammer, harden, heat, heat treat, how to, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, newbie, scales, steel, temper, throw, what kind, woods