MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 09-19-2001, 08:24 PM
Gary Mulkey

W-2 heat treat?

I was given a couple of pieces of damascus from W-2 & 15N20 but I can't find any heat treat info for W-2 anywhere. I know that it's a water quench but can't find any info as to critical temperature, quenched hardness, and tempering tips. If any of you have worked with it, please let me know.

Gary
Old 09-20-2001, 01:41 PM
primos

Gary,

I haven't used W2, but the basic textbook heat treat says to quench at 1500 degrees F. in water or brine. Other specs I have say that it will harden just fine in an oil quench, and the hardness at quench will be in the neighborhood of 65 Rc.

Here's a quick guide for tempering. The temps are in fahrenheit, and are approximations. If you are tempering in your kitchen oven these temps can vary greatly. Kitchen ovens aren't particuarly accurate. You might want to invest in an oven thermometer.

450 F. - 61 Rc
500 F. - 59 Rc
550 F. - 57 Rc

I hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2001, 08:17 AM
Gary Mulkey

W-2 heat treat

Thanks Terry,

I had a feeling that critical was in that neighborhood but wanted to make sure before I jumped in.

Gary
Old 10-02-2001, 10:43 PM
Mississippi Long hunter

I would not harden your w2 and 15n20 damascus in water, a good way to loose a blade. Harden in oil! It will gey plenty hard in oil. Start tempering at 350 deg. If a new file will not grab on it go up 25 deg. and temper again. You should not have to go above 400 deg. Might want to triple normalize and triple harden the blade to refine the grain.
B L Howard, Long Hunter Forge
Old 10-03-2001, 12:04 AM
primos

Thanks Mr. Howard. You know, up until I read your post, I had forgotten that Gary mentioned it was in damascus. I thought "huh?" and looked at the original post.

DOH! I just keyed in on the treatment for W2 part the other day and started sifting through my books for info on straight W2.

I agree with oil quench, and starting at the lower draw temp.

Tags
blade, forge, knife