MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Steel Addict

question about holsters

Are the Mexican loop style crossdraw holsters that you see people selling these days historically accurate? I don't remember seeing them in "packing iron". Would a more historically accurate mixed rig be a mexican loop stronside holster and a slim jim crossdraw?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

I assume you are asking whether the Mexican Loop cross draw holsters where the loop is set at an angle is historically documented - I have seen a couple originals circa early 1900's that were purpose built that way, but generally no they aren't documented as being widely used.
On the other hand straight hang Mexican Loop holsters are well documented as being used in the cross draw position (i.e. a right hand strong side holster becomes a right hand crossdraw when worn on the left hip, butt forward - PI includes several photos of Mexican Loop holsters being carried in that position)
Slim Jims never went completely out of fashion (they were still worn by such gun men as the James brothers into the early 1880's), but when the wider cartridge loop belts came into style they began to disappear since making the loop wide enough to accommodate the wider/ctg belts becomes more difficult. Slim Jims, due to their narrower sen on loops also tend to flop around a bit more than do the Mexican loop holsters, with their wide, integral loop.....

P.S. Packign Iron is a wonderful book, but should not be used as the final/only word on gun leather of the Old West....it's really a failry small sampling of items made/carried.....

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the info, can you suggest any other good sources of information?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

"Cowboy and Gunfighter Collectibles" available from http://www.museumnwco.org/bookshop.php - you can see some of teh items online at http://www.museumnwco.org/cowboy.php

"Cowboys & the Trappings of the Old West" Zon publishing - the same folks that put out Packing Iron

"Guns of the Old West" Dean Boorman

"The Gunfighters" Time-life Old West series

"The American Frontier: Pioneers, Settlers & Cowboys 1800-1899" William C. Davis

there are some other books as well that I don't have in my library - most books on cowboys, cowboy guns, gunfighters, the old west, etc will have some leather pictured - some are repeats but they're all worth looking up.

Along with books check out:
1) the various museum websites such as the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody, WY 2) auction sites specializing in firearms and old west gear: Cowan's, Greg Martin, Butterfields are a few
3) visit Museums and historical soscieties whenever possible
4) Luckily over the years I've had the privilege to examine several private collections as well

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for all the wonderful info. Have you ever thought about writing a book? I know you are probably cringing right now, but it would be really great to capture all of this knowledge somewhere it could be passed on.