MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to levensailor.r
Question making damascus blade

best heat treating for 52100 carbon an 15n20 nickel an does it make good damascus blade ?

Last edited by levensailor.r; 11-23-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Skilled

Though I cannot answer the best HT for the above, I have heard 52100/15n20 make a decent mix. It is difficult to weld though. You might want to start with 1084/15n20.. This is much easier to weld and readily available thru Aldo Bruno.

BTW welcome to the forum. Tell us a little about yourself and please update you user CP to include were you are from. This will give us a better understanding of how we should to respond and if there is someone in your area who can help you out.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.

Last edited by Woodchuck Forge; 11-23-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

Question

ive been using 1095 an 15n20 an been turning out some nice blades.ive been heat treating them in oil was wondering if I shoud do the same with the 52100..also wondering if the 52100 will polish to mirror finesh???
Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Skilled

52100 is a completely different animal from 1095. It requires a much more controlled heat in both the forging and HT. It needs a soak during HT that the 1095 does not. Are you looking for contrast in the Damascus or just a bright blade. All steel can be polished to a mirror finish. i do not see the advantage on a Damascus blade. The 52100 will have a darker contrast than the 15n20. The chromium in the 52100 will make for a difficult time doing a traditional open/wet weld. If you try this I would recommend a dry weld. This is were you weld up the seams before the forge weld. It produces a much cleaner and I feel a better weld. 52100 and 15n20 is one of the more difficult combination's to pull off. I would recommend going to Ed Caffry's forum and asking some questions regarding 52100. He is a master with the steel, I am a novice compared to him. He has probably tried the damascus combination you are asking about. THere is a Damascus forum that might also provide some better answers.

Good luck

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Enthusiast

Cool

thanks for the info .Ive been doing artist blacksmith work for the last 6 years an I always have loved making knives im moving my shop right behind my house an am going to a lot less overhead so Im realy going to focus on more custom knife making .I realy like making the damascus so I just want to make sure im using the best combo to work with that I can use ...
Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Skilled

I would recommend 1084/15n20. It is pretty much the industry standard. If you want a superior cutter try O1 L6. But here again it is a real pain to work with. Good luck in your new endeavor.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.

Tags
blade, damascus, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives