MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Skilled

I need info on trademarks

Im new to this, but I'm needing something to stamp my trademark on my blades, I've looked at the electronic ones and I think that's the way I wanna go.

Who do I contact to get my logo set up, what's the cost etc?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Ernie Grospitch makes stencils for quite a few of us. Search this forum or Google to find his contact info ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Steel Addict

First of all its called a makers mark not a trademark. I will try and explain why. This is the definition of a trademark.

trade?mark
/ˈtrādˌm?rk/
Noun
A symbol, word, or words legally registered or established by use as representing a company or product.

The words highlighted in red is why it is not a trademak. Most of us will never get to the point of making it a trademark! So either by design or use of letter(s) that we put on our blades it is a makers mark! Legally protected can cost some big bucks and is usually reserved for companies or a maker who has made it big!

KISS
"Keep it simple stupid" is the best advice I ever got. Most makers will use their name and location. Here is mine.

I have seen it time and time again where someone used a symbol or a mark and a few years down the line no one knows who that particular maker was. Using your name and location give two chances of someone knowing who the maker was and in this age and time, it is as simple as goggling the name and the maker will usually pop up, especially if you have the location as well!

I use to have a link on how to build your own etcher but at the moment I can't find it. Someone I am sure will have the link I am speaking of for making your own etcher!

As far as stencils Ernie is the go to man. He will give you great service and advice on how to get a good mark. He will produce in two sizes, unless you tell him different. One size works well on larger knives and the other on small knives!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 08-13-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Craft View Post
First of all its called a makers mark not a trademark. I will try and explain why. This is the definition of a trademark.

trade?mark
/ˈtrādˌm?rk/
Noun
A symbol, word, or words legally registered or established by use as representing a company or product.

The words highlighted in red is why it is not a trademak. Most of us will never get to the point of making it a trademark! So either by design or use of letter(s) that we put on our blades it is a makers mark! Legally protected can cost some big bucks and is usually reserved for companies or a maker who has made it big!

KISS
"Keep it simple stupid" is the best advice I ever got. Most makers will use their name and location. Here is mine.

I have seen it time and time again where someone used a symbol or a mark and a few years down the line no one knows who that particular maker was. Using your name and location give two chances of someone knowing who the maker was and in this age and time, it is as simple as goggling the name and the maker will usually pop up, especially if you have the location as well!

I use to have a link on how to build your own etcher but at the moment I can't find it. Someone I am sure will have the link I am speaking of for making your own etcher!

As far as stencils Ernie is the go to man. He will give you great service and advice on how to get a good mark. He will produce in two sizes, unless you tell him different. One size works well on larger knives and the other on small knives!
Thanks for your advice, I'll get ahold of Ernie.

Thanks.

Tags
advice, blades, build, custom, design, how to, knives, made, making, man, simple