MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Skilled

Randall "quiz nation"

Here's an idea. I know that we have a small, but loyal, following on this forum. At least all seem to get along. Why don't we all challenge ourselves to make a new thread with a subject that we either: A) Know something about with relation to Randall knives.....or B) Would like to know more about, with relation to Randall knives.
It could be interesting, educational and enter more folks into a discusion. I'll start off with a bit of trivia for ya'. At one time, I had 57 Model #18's in my collection. No 2 of them were exactly alike! Can anyone care to take a stab at some of the differences? Or can anyone list what they think are "all" the options ever available on a Model #18. I have since changed my Randall collection around a great deal and no longer have those Model #18's. I bought my house with the proceeds of them..along with a few other "treasures". Anyway: Ya'll take a stab at a "thread of your own"!! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Steel Addict

Tool steel
stainless
blade lengths
different end caps
O.k. thats a start for you all. I just put in the really easy to guess stuff
Panhead
Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Steel Addict

Saw teeth, no saw teeth. Grey plastic tip,(cotter pin through the end for a lanyard) black crutch tip. Pinched handle crutch tip, non pinched. Differences in the depth of the tang in the handle. SS hilt and buttcap.(rare) Knurled handle, non knurled. Pointed vs. rounded hilts. Long and short threads on the buttcap on the straight (lined) cut buttcaps. Modern cross hatched cut buttcaps. Johnson Riveted sheaths, canteen snap or plain button. Gold paracord, green paracord. Different stone colors. Later, Sullivan sheaths, black, brown, waxed brown. SS vs carbon blades. 5 1/2" vs 7" blade length. Tttthaaaats aaallll (I can think of) Ffolks. I almost forgot about the Solingen blades also, and the optional compass in the buttcap.

Last edited by Byrdguy; 08-22-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

Byrdguy,I am worn out from reading your response and I think you pretty much nailed it. Good on you. I can't add anything from my dismal knowledge at this point. I am impressed with the folks that follow this forum and their willingness to learn.Tom#3081
Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Skilled

Not there yet..

Good start, but ya'll ain't there yet. I had a Mini with smooth handle..A Mini with a knurled handle..both of them with brass hardware. I had an "all stainless" mini..I had a Mini ST/NST..(talk about rare!). I had a mini with a Johnson pouch..I had a Mini with an "8-4 sheath (from the shop)...More yet...It's your turn. I'll give you a hint: I had my old "Bob-tail" Bronco broken into and one stolen..It was a Model #18-7 1/2"..ST/NST/All stainless..Black Johnson roughback sheath..........and that was one I carrier around!! Best, The "Captain"
P.S. After showing Gary Randall the police report, he agreed to re-make that stolen knife for me. I was in 1984 or 85. More than likely the last "all stainless" to ever come out of the shop!! Including the black Johnson sheath!! THAT'S probably not in anybody's book!...Gee....maybe I should write a.......oh...never mind! CCS

Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Steel Addict

Cap, I was just listing the 18s seen, handled and owned by mere mortals!!! I sure would like to see some of those minis you listed above, man, what a collection!!

Tags
knife, knives