MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

Question It's been a while.

Hello there all. It's been a while since I posted. I guess I kinda gave up. I was doing minor knife smithing stuff. Actually started to grind away at a blade using a bench grinder and files..... not something I'd like to make a career out of that's for sure. I live in an apartment so I was going to like parks and using the one brick forge. Eh.... it was what I could do outside of doing kits and was a lot of fun for a time.

I got into another business for a while that I'm getting out of. Going to sell the stuff and all. I wanted to ask you all something. Smithing is still out. Hauling everything was crazy. I started looking at what the TX Knifemaking Supply has as far as belt grinders.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/produ...8b30a4b1a6e214

This one here is light enough that I can bring in and out of my apartment. It says it is for the beginner who wants to put out a bit more quality and speed. Does anyone have any experience with this little guy? Does it make good blades? I was looking at the Coote but it's just too big for me right now.

Michael

What.... just take some metal, grind away anything that does not look like a knife and there you are. Whats the problem now?
Old 06-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Skilled

I started with the sears 2 x 42 it's a better grinder for less money.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...o=3&blockType=
easily portable.
Stan

Old 06-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah I've seen that one. How long did it last you with steel? Someone, I think it was a Sear's drone, told me it was primarily for wood.

Michael

What.... just take some metal, grind away anything that does not look like a knife and there you are. Whats the problem now?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Master

Lot of makers start out with something like this. TKS has been caring this one for many years so it probably is fairly well made.
Curtis

Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Skilled

Micheal
I used one of the sears grinders for a couple of years of hobby making,it held up well.
Stan

Old 06-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

sounds like good advice im in a apartment too the sears style sander should make a good first grinder wen you have more room & get a biger beter & keep these one for scales exctera
Old 06-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Skilled

Michael...All I can say is that many a fine knife has been made with much less. The knifemaking community uses predominately the 2x72" grinders. The main attraction of that size grinder is the wide range of belts that are readily available in that size. The $425 price on that grinder seems pricey to me. Good quality 1x42 grinders can be bought for much less, and they are small enough for apartment use, and the belts are readily available. In the end, it's all about what you really want, can afford, and have room for. All the aforementioned grinders will work for knifemaking, and it's up to you which one you choose. Any and all can produce great results. It's not the tool, it's the person operating the tool.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Enthusiast

Will certainly look at the options when I get some money. Right now... tomorrow actually. I'm getting a grinder for $40 off Craigslist Can't beat the price for sure. Looks similar to the Sears one... not sure if it is or not. But ... hey... for $40... what do I have to loose If it doesn't work out it's still the price of a good kit at any rate right?

Tags
blade, coote, files, forge, hobby, kit, kits, knife, supply