MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 11-07-2004, 01:05 AM

Was Trackrock Good or What!

This Sunday p.m. the fall edition of the 2004 Trackrock Hammer-In will be in the books. Crex and Mark did a great job, once again, of putting together a good day for anyone interested to learn about and try their hand at bladesmithing.

John and I began the trip up Saturday morning at 5:00 a.m. We swung through Augusta and picked up Old Grinder. This was Alvin's first major outing since open heart surgery 2 months ago. We were glad Alvin got to go and he said he throughly enjoyed himself.

The weather was cool but bright and sunny. The view, as usual, from the campgrounds was beautiful.

I'm not sure about the total number of folks attending, but I can tell you there were LOTS of folks there.

And anywhere you find this many men together you can look for tables (3 to be exact) of knives. All types of knives, all hand crafted--some by smithing and some by stockremoval.

One of the tables with the "treasures" on it.

One of the things I like about Trackrock is that it is a family event. Each time John and I have gone, we find Carl very busy helping to teach and encourage a young person in their first attempts to create a knife. This year was no exception.

Meet Harrison Costa, the 6 year old son of John Costa.

Harrison worked really hard and completed his first "rat-tail" knife.

A couple of weeks ago, Carl and Mark contacted Trackrock faithful with a plan to express our appreciation to Fred, the owner of the campgrounds, for his generousity in letting us use the campground.

Many of those who came brought their token. The display of the tokens on the plaque is really a unique piece.

Along with the time for instructions, there is always a hot and tasty lunch provided by Carl and his wife. The homemade chili and cornbread was great. Everyone appreciates the hospitality of the Rechsteiners.

The afternoon was a time for others who wanted to try their hand at smithing to get in some "hammer time" or just to pick up a "tidbit" from others on hand about different aspect of knifemaking

Carl and Old Grinder discuss types of steel

Jamey receives instructions from Carl before trying his hand at smithing. "Experienced smith" Harrison listens in to make sure Carl tells it correctly.

Ruth got some help from Mark in her first attemps at swinging the hammer.

Even Jerry took the time to "share his wisdom"

Since this is always just a day trip ( and a LONG day trip at that) for John and me, we stopped on our way home and met Pop and Kay for supper in Washington, GA. For those of you who think Pop's best calling is in the knife supply business, you would be surprised to find out he is very creative in the area of culinary delights. And that is all I will say on that!

If you missed this weekend, plan on making the one in the spring. With Carl and Mark making the plans I guarantee it to be a good weekend.

Last edited by mrsjoan; 11-07-2004 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:22 PM

Joan,
You have put together another great review for those of us who would liked to have attended the Trackrock hammer-in but couldn't be there. Although I do love the great Rocky Mountains here in Colorado, your pictures remind me that during the first 29 years of my life I was so lucky to grow up and live in the SE amongst the ancient Appalachians, the beautiful rolling hills of the Piedmont and the sandy loam of the Coastal plains.

Your pictures convey the intimacy of smaller gatherings in 'cozy' places like Trackrock where like-minded folks can get together and celebrate what's important to them. I can also see from your pictures that there's a lot of talent in the folks who were there, as well as a great spirit of teaching, helping and sharing. Thanks again for going to the trouble of posting this wonderful review!
BT
Old 11-07-2004, 03:34 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I had an absolute blast yesterday. So much, in fact, that I made the trek back up there today, with our secretary's son Devon in tow. Carl guided Devon in the making of a blacksmith's knife, and he was thrilled. This kid's nuts about knives, and I think what he saw at Trackrock really opened his eyes to the possibilities. I even invited him to the Georgia Guild meeting in December.

I do want to thank Carl for his time, and for sharing of his knowledge and talent. And that chili was great!

I really enjoyed finally meeting Mark. I also really liked meeting Sandy Morrissey. Devon and I made the trip out to Sandy's place this afternoon. We both had a great time.

Thanks to everyone who helps make Trackrock what it is. That goes both for the organizers and participants. It was great!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 11-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Skilled

Hey folks. Just made it back home to Alabama from TrackRock. That was my first hammer-in, but I can assure you it won't be my last.

Carl spent most of the time sharing his knowledge with others. He is a natural at teaching.

Got to spend most of Saturday afternoon at Sandy's place. The "Old Man", along with Karla Van Horne are a wealth of knowledge and so eager to share with others. Great people.

I finally got to put some faces with names. Jamie Saunders, Brian Goode, Mark Williams, Carl, Ms. Joan, Insanity, VillainVomit, and the list goes on and on.

I must go rest now, my brain suffers from information overload.

Thanks for the opportunity. Miss Patti and I had a wonderful time............Robert

P.S. Thanks ladies. That was the best danged chilli I have had in a long, long time.

Last edited by Robert Dark; 11-07-2004 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 11-07-2004, 06:47 PM

Hey Buddy,

Glad I could be a part of you being able to walk down memory lane. As if Trackrock did not make the weekend spectacular enough, today I got to spend time with this young lady-

This is my granddaughter, Emmie Elizabeth, and we had a really good time this afternoon napping and playing.

Now I'm really ready to go back to work---exhausted!!

Old 11-08-2004, 08:14 PM

Well done Joan (as usual). I can only say that I had a wonderfully great time!! All else would just be redundent. The many of you that showed up and jumped right in with getting things set up and the ones that lingered to help clean up, a very personal thanks. You'll never really know.
To keep things in perspective my wife, Karen is the cook, I step and fetch. She'll be pleased to know you guys liked the chili and cornbread. Mrs. Joan supplied the cakes. Jamey and Lelia Saunders the tea, and Clarke the hot sauce. Chips ? I don't know.

All of you attendees are what make Trackrock Hammer-In's what they are.
My "Brother of the Heart" (Mark Williams to you slow folks) and I have managed to set the "blame" of these events on the campground manager. He never should have responded to Mark's email three years ago. The plaque we presented him was a very small thing compared to what he and his family have done for us. But hey, we don't play fair.....we've got him addicted to forging blades and other iron-work around the place.

We had the opportunity to spend several late hours with Frank (not Fred) Alexander (sorry to correct you Joan, but I know you'll take it well), forging and playing with some pattern welded stuff. It splatters to much for crowds. The man is a "Tree" of some kind we just couldn't settle on which kind..oak...black locust...osage...hickory... Hey it was late!

Yeah, I really have a hard time turning down a youngster that wants to learn how. They make me a better maker every time. One of my "Youngsters" was Jack, very good student,
(73 years young) forged his first blade Sat. afternoon. I had three more eager young men to work with Sunday. One was Tyler W., 8 going on 9, who forged his first blade last spring at Trackrock. He forged to shape a interestingly nice 5" skinner that he plans to put an antler handle on when he gets home. Project well done. Sorry no pictures, I couldn't find my camera in time. They had to go back up to Sevierville, TN.

You guys that haven't tried teaching gangly, jumpy, high wired, youngsters are missing out on a real blessing. They'll make you learn about yourself. Do it you won't regret a minute.

I wish I could acknowledge everyone that attended by name but I'm bad with names. Enjoyed talking with each and everyone of you. The wisdom, knowledge, and comraderie that flowed around that barn is a truly awsome thing to be priviledged to. You cannot get that sort of thing under any better conditions or in any better company.

Last of all.......Buddy T. one thing.........AirTran! You'll always be welcome! We'll even set out a clean bowl for you.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 11-08-2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:50 AM
Steel Addict

I cannot express how much I enjoy these hammer-ins. The only bad part is that it must come to an end and I have to drive back home to sea level. The weight of all this extra atmosphere weighs heavy on my heart every time I come back to it.
Carl did one heck of a job on the plaque. All I did was the little hawk so all the credit belongs to him, and the outstanding leather work was done by Martin (Sandy) Morrissey.
Wish I could just buy a mountain and move all my friends there with me. Cant wait to see everyone next time.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Skilled

All I can say is good time had by all. I spent most of my day at Sandy's place but I owed the man a visit to his shop so that was my main goal Looked over the knives and took in as much information as I could. Next fall I plan on doing a little hammerin'. I tend to let other get in there first just because I dont want to hog someone elses day and tend to like to share but hey guys....next time I'll be hammerin too. Plus I think I talk to darn much while I am there to be hammerin anyway

Thanks again Carl and Mark. Good to be around such good people.

Till next time my friends.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:33 PM

WOW! What a killer time!

Thanks to Carl, Mark and Frank for organizing and letting us all hang out this past weekend. You guys put in a great deal of time effort and energy; it is very much appreciated. Thanks for the goodies too!!!!

Man o man......too much going on to catch it all let alone list everything I thought I caught. It is a good feeling to hang out with such skilled folks who are willing to share their experiences and knowledge. I learned something from everyone I had the pleasure of talking with and I thank you all.

I even got to go to Sandy's shop and learn some tricks from Sandy and Karla. Any one who has made the short ride knows how cool that is. Sandy and I even got to swap a few bone breaking motorcycle wreck stories.

So many great knives and interesting people

Oh yeah, and thanks again Crex for the tips on beatin' out that blade.....I know you were eager to get to the fish!!!!!

Did I fail to mention how much fun I had??

VV
Old 11-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Steel Addict

Where exactly is this hammer-in held at?
Old 11-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Steel Addict

Never mind. I should have read the next topic down. I need stronger coffee!!
Old 11-18-2004, 05:45 AM
Skilled

Carl, Mark, and Dad,
Just a quick update on the arm. Fibromatosis, on problems, just a nice 4 inch scare.
Hardley a bump in the road. Thanks for the prayers. jc

GEORGIA CUSTOM KNIFEMAKERS GUILD / CHARTER MEMBER
Old 11-18-2004, 09:32 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
John, my friend----you have got to watch out for those bumpy roads. Glad you are OK! Give master smith Harrison a pat on the back for me! ---Sandy---

Old 11-20-2004, 06:24 AM

That's good to hear John. (WHen can you start hammering again?) You guys have had a plate full lately.
It was really good to see you at TR, glad you came and brought "Dirty Harry" with you. Had fun working with him in his first knife. Another FOOSRK Brother in the making!
Where did we get with Sandy's knife sheath discussion? I kind of lost track. If you bring the knife with you to the Guild meeting, I'll take it home and make the changes with the sheath.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives