MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

New NC knifemaker

So me and my Dad have been doing a lot of research and are about to start our first knife. I have a couple of question though. I was thinking of getting 01 tool steel but not sure where the best place to get it is and what is a good thickness and width to get? We are looking to make combat knives and hunting knives. We live in Kernersville NC near Winston Salem and Greensboro. Didn't know if there was a good place to buy 01 tool steel locally or online. If there is even someone in our area that we could meet up with and talk to that would be cool too. Thanks for the help we are supper excited!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Steel Addict

Welcome to the addiction! O1 is a great steel to make a knife with however it does require a more carefully controlled heat treating. I would recommend using 1080 or 1084 for your first knives. The cost will be a lot less than O1 and the heat treating a lot simpler. Basically you heat 1084 up to just past non-magnetic and quench. It can be quenched in mineral oil or canola oil and make a decent blade. Will it be as good as one quenched in a proper quenchant? probably not but will still make a servicable blade.

There is a North Carolina Knifemakers Guild meeting on July 21 at Montgomery county community college and I invite you guys to attend. There will be knife makers from all over NC there ready and willing to share their knowledge with you.

Check out our web site for directions. Sorry for the event calendar being out of date but I promise the next meeting is July 21.

Proud member of PETA....People Eating Tasty Animals
There is a place for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
Welcome to the addiction! O1 is a great steel to make a knife with however it does require a more carefully controlled heat treating. I would recommend using 1080 or 1084 for your first knives. The cost will be a lot less than O1 and the heat treating a lot simpler. Basically you heat 1084 up to just past non-magnetic and quench. It can be quenched in mineral oil or canola oil and make a decent blade. Will it be as good as one quenched in a proper quenchant? probably not but will still make a servicable blade.

There is a North Carolina Knifemakers Guild meeting on July 21 at Montgomery county community college and I invite you guys to attend. There will be knife makers from all over NC there ready and willing to share their knowledge with you.

Check out our web site for directions. Sorry for the event calendar being out of date but I promise the next meeting is July 21.
So if we use 1080 what s the best way to heat treat it at home? I know I can send it off but what do you suggest? I heard of people using there ovens, toaster ovens but I didn't know what would be the best way at home to do this. And where is a good place to pick 1080 up at? Thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Steel Addict

Heat treating any carbon steel is going to require at least 1450 degrees and I doubt you can get that high without some kind of forge. Use the home oven or toaster oven to temper after hardening.

Check out Zoller's web site for a lot of good info on forges.

Aldo Bruno is who I buy all my steel from.

I think the most important part of a knife is the heat treating. You can make beautiful knives and if the heat treating isn't right you just have pretty pieces of metal. On the other hand you can make a crappy looking knife and nail the heat treatment and it will out cut any other knife you own.

If you come to the Guild meeting next saturday there is usually a guy that brings a couple forges to sell. I am going to try to get in touch with him to bring me one if he is coming to the meeting and I'll ask that he bring an extra one or two.

There is a place for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Barry, what time does the meeting start? I have been wanting to attend a meeting, but the website never seemed to have up to date information.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Steel Addict

Folks start showing up as early as 8:00 to shoot the bull. I think it officially starts at 9:00 but it won't be held against you if your late. I am usually late! Sometime Pop comes up from Georgia with a load of knife making goodies with him and sets up to sell us supplies and such. Not sure if he is coming or not to this meeting.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Heat treating any carbon steel is going to require at least 1450 degrees and I doubt you can get that high without some kind of forge. Use the home oven or toaster oven to temper after hardening.

Check out Zoller's web site for a lot of good info on forges.

Aldo Bruno is who I buy all my steel from.

I think the most important part of a knife is the heat treating. You can make beautiful knives and if the heat treating isn't right you just have pretty pieces of metal. On the other hand you can make a crappy looking knife and nail the heat treatment and it will out cut any other knife you own.

If you come to the Guild meeting next saturday there is usually a guy that brings a couple forges to sell. I am going to try to get in touch with him to bring me one if he is coming to the meeting and I'll ask that he bring an extra one or two.
Barry thanks for the info! Unfortunately I can't go that weekend its family vacation but I will definitely try and be at the next one!! Do you know when they will offer a general knife making class again I saw where it was filled already. I was thinking about making a forge out of a freon tank for heat treating my 1080. What do you think? Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

Barry I went to Njsteelbaron.com and I see 1084 is that close to 1080 or is there another name for the steel I should be looking for?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:46 PM

The other Barry here

1084 would be a great choice of steel for you to work. Makes a great blade and is pretty easy to grind as well as heat treat.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Jones View Post
The other Barry here

1084 would be a great choice of steel for you to work. Makes a great blade and is pretty easy to grind as well as heat treat.
Barry even if I do stock cut out and just use the forge to heat treat?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:12 AM

You can use the forge to heat treat 1984.

Phillip (my Brother) heat treats 1084 with a propane torch. We did buy a rather large tipped torch for that. Phillip stacks up fire bricks (the softer ones but the harder ones will work just as well) to create a makeshift oven to help keep the heat on bigger blades. It reduces the time it takes to get the blades up to critical temperature, too.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Master

Send a message via MSN to ArtinNC
If your coming to the meeting I have a small piece of 01 you can have.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinNC View Post
If your coming to the meeting I have a small piece of 01 you can have.
Wow thanks for the offer but I am going to miss the meeting. Family vacation. I will be at the next one though.

Tags
art, at home, bee, blade, custom, easy, fire, forge, hand, heat treat, home, hunting, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, make, steel, supplies, temper