MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Steel Addict

Smile Finally Back at it!

Greetings All,
Well, some of you know I spend most of my time making sculpture. The last part of the year was filled with finishing up some stone pieces for our open studios tour here in the high desert, which left me with only enough energy to dream/think of forging.

And finally I got back to it; with some good/bad news. The day I was setting up to begin some new projects my good friend came to take his anvil back to do some farrier work for the winter season........which forced me to spring for my very own anvil! Wow am I stoked to have my very own; and a nice one too. It is a dream, and what better way to get back to the hot steel other than with a new Nimba Anvil!

Below are my first two pieces in since May. It feels good, that there is still so much to learn. The little integral is my first attempt at a decorative bolster, and the one from spring steel, I am calling "The Happy Chef", is my first out of spring steel, a cool little leaf spring I found.

I am quite happy with both and now am just waiting for some wood a friend is sending me for the handles.

Heat treatment is OK on both, could be better, but I think that is always the case in the beginning. The integral edge passes the edge flex all the way untill about 1.5" from the choil, and the Happy Chef is wicked sharp and edge flex is OK. Good for a kitchen knife, gets razor sharp and is easy to resharpen; and yes that top clip is sharp, just in case anyone complains to the Chef.

A shot of a sculpture I recently did, these I call,Stonecenterpieces,
and also a shot of the new anvil, and a few process shots of the two new knives.

I hope you enjoy the images, and forgive me for rambling on so much!

Don Carlos

OK So Now the Knives

Pre-Heat-treat

Post Heat-treat

Ready For Handles

Old 12-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Steel Addict

Nice all the way, sculpture and knives. What brand and weight is your new anvil?

Old 12-17-2006, 07:05 AM

Sweet looking blades, sculpture and anvil there bro! Good to see you back at it.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Skilled

I have noticed that there seeems to be lots of rock hounds amongst us. Just checking out your gallery and love the looks of that California peridotite. What could you tell me about that rock? How does it rate on the Mohar scale? I have some slabs cut of a simular looking rock exept that it is reddish brown looking color with blue and green and cream color spots. The fellows at the rock and jem workshop that I thought would know this were not sure.
I didnt forget the knifes are lookin cool. but at this time your rock works is fasinateing me.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Master

Congrats on the new anvil, Don! Good to see some more blades from you. Those look great. Can't wait to see them with handles.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Skilled

NIce knives and stone lookin good

Like that Anvil whats that thing weigh?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the feedback Ya'll!
The Anvil is a Nimba: http://www.anvils.nimbaforge.com/

I love their website, It has some cool images of them casing and pulling the hot anvils from the cope and drag moulds, Very cool!

The anvil I got from them is called the Titan, the smallest one they make (120lb.). It is a beasty 120lb'er, as the weight sits real square in the center due to the Italian pattern style, and I think for baldesmithing it is just perfect......however, if I could have afforded the next step up (260lb.) I would have gone for it, but I considered the idea of moving it, even now and then, I I figured 120lb. sounded nicer to my back PLUS most of what I have understood about bladesmithing is that you want an anvil that is not alway a constant heat-sink, and one small anough that the surface can become somewhat warm when working the hot steel so as to have a longer cycle-forging time........if anyone has feedback on that idea let me know. I read it somewhere, but forget where...

As for the stone, yes there are tons of rockhounds out there, way more that I ever realized untill I got transitioned from casting bronze sculpture to working in stone. Thanks for the positive comments on my stone work. It too is an addiction once you get going on it.....but I suppose I just have an addictive personality.

The Peridotite is an extruded-serpentine-lava, super-hard like granite, but not as fragile, (yest granite is fragile compared to this Peridotite!). Thew stonecenterpiece above is a California conglomerate-marble, also ultra hard and extra nasty to my expensive diamond equipment, which only allows me to carve a piece in it every-other-year, unless I am inspired for lots of work, and expense in making a piece.....but I can gather the stone on my own locally, so that makes it cool to carve, same with the Peridotite, I find that south of Big Sur on the Californa coast. OK OK I would go on forever about rocks.

Thanks for taking a look at the knives. I will be sure to post when I get them all finished up.

Don Carlos
Old 12-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Skilled

Great looking stuff Don!. I like that integral

Old 12-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Skilled

One thing I find odd is when it comes to granite is so many rockhounds dismiss it because it is so readily available. I still like what a cool ashtray or candy dish can be made of it. Lately granite countertops seem to be the rage in new construction. I can almost hear the broken dishes and coffee cups, But its all ok when it looks so cool.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives