MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:06 PM

forge burner problems...

I've posted this elsewhere but I'm having problems getting a really hot flame from my home made burners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISS2IItDP90

So I've built, redone several forges but in resurrecting this one, I find that the burners don't burn evenly. I've tried/looked at any possibility here and can't see what I'm missing. Here's a little vid of a test firing and of course, without back pressure it's hard to see how they will work in the forge but I didn't have time this morning. everything is the same on both sides, and the pipe fittings/migs tips free from any restrictions. Still they don't burn/fire evenly! And, I'm wondering if I can get weld heat from these two or, if I'll need to go back to a three burner setup.

Lastly I "might" be better off w/ a second forge just for welding up billets, I found this old thread of Don fogg's vertical forge but can't tell/see how big it is, or how the gas is injected into the (what looks like) 2" pipe leading into the furnace. So what do I need to generate to weld? 2100o?

And while I'm at it, my pyrometer has gone on the fritz, is this a good one to consider?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-type-Therm...QAAOSwniRWOBbt

thanks for any help, mitch

Old 11-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Can't really help you on on the burners. I use a single blown burners on both of my forges.

That pyrometer should work fine for you just make sure that the themocouple can take t he heat.

Doug

Old 11-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I watched the video, but was pretty sure what I was going to see before hand..... and it was. That is nearly always an issue with mutiple burners that are setup in that manner (run off a single line feed). The only way I know how to sort of solve it is to run two regulators off your main line, and then an individual line to each burner.
I suspect whats happening is that the regulator, either at the tank, or if you have a second regulator (which I always recommend) can't supply enough pressure/volume to feed both burners equally, and one is being starved.

Personally, I recommend using a single burner, whether its venturi or blown (I use a single venturi in my general purpose forge, and a single blown burner in the welding forge.) There are far less issues and problem of this nature to deal with.

Not sure how the propane folks are around your area are, but I've known and worked with mine for many years. When I told them I needed more psi then what the stock regulator that comes on their tank provides, they gave me a 0-30psi adjustable, and all the fittings to install it. If I remember correctly, some areas of the country will only allow a maximum of a 9psi tank regulator. If thats the case where your at, the only solution might be to go with a single blown burner. (you can run one of those at 4-6psi and get welding heat all day long).

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-12-2015, 08:40 PM

Thanks Ed. Do you have/know of a set of general plans to build such? I found this one Don Fogg did some time back but it doesn't say what pipe diameter, or "how" the propane is introduced. I take it that there's a mig tip dumping in the center of the pipe?, or is the propane introduced at/under low pressure?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...t-Ashokan-2006

tia, mitch

Tags
back, back pressure, build, burner, fire, fittings, forge, hand, heat, home, home made, hot, how to, made, make, man, metal, problem, show, supply, tips, video, weld, welding