MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Steel Addict

GI3 Modern Inlay Folder Kit

Are these kits going to be released the 15th as planned?

Thanks, Charlie
Old 06-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Guru

Just got a box with this in it today! I am always on the lookout for these easier kits to have my kids and my nieces and nephews put together (plus I work with a number of boy scout leaders always asking what an easy knife for the boys to do would be ).

Anyway, just finished assembling it. This one is going to give plenty of room to take it up a notch, but is easy to assemble and get to fit. It is probably a level above the FL series, since the lock is left a little long, so you need to fit it to the blade as you are assembling. This requires a small file or well backed sandpaper, and a few assemblies/dis-assemblies to get it all to fit well.

Anyway, this is now on my list of nice little kits for young ones to do with proper supervision. Good to intro people into this addiction too.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 06-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the info Carl. Looking forward to receiving the ones I ordered.

Charlie
Old 06-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Guru

Got mine a few days ago. Looks good so far cept the pivot pin, not sure what size to tap that.

Ed

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 06-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Skilled

I assembled one of the kits this morning before mowing the lawn. It's good enough to use as an everyday carry if you just throw it together right from the packaging. However, I used phosphorous bronze washers for the blade pivot, ground all the edges flush, tuned the lock, ground the screws flush with the back of the liner, and then bead blasted the entire thing again to give it a uniform surface finish. I also re-ground the blade edge to 20-degrees. I did not blast the screw heads. I like the contrast of the finish between the blasted handle parts and the "raw machined" look of the screw heads.

The blade took the new edge angle very easily. This is in stark contrast to the DDR3 blade with cryo-treat that I recently did - that blade took over an hour to get re-ground using my DMT sharpening guide. I suspect the G13 will need it's edge freshened very regularly.

The stock G10 inlays fit well enough. They're not perfect, but I truly do not mind. They fit well enough for my purposes, and look and feel great.

Some pics:

More pictures can be seen here:
http://www.loneadmin.com/images/albums/G-13_knife/

Overall, I'm very happy with this knife. As soon as I can find my tap set, I'm going to put a pocket clip on it.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Guru

Just took a quick snapshot of the ones I played with. Kurt you did a good job with that one.

Bottom one is stock, nothing but the lock played with, the top one I ground everything smooth, took the bead finish off the metal on the scales, and added a few curves to the handle. Anyway, a lot of things can be done to this one, neither of these took very long to do.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 06-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwp
Anyway, a lot of things can be done to this one, neither of these took very long to do.
I agree. If you just assemble it stock, you'll have a servicable knive in 15 minutes or so. But this knife really comes alive when you take the time to tune it and add little embellishments. I have a second kit here on my desk, and I'm pondering what I can do with it. I wonder how abalone or mother of pearl inserts would look. Then I could polish it up, maybe polish it all and heat color the liners and handle steel? Maybe even a custom blade? I don't know. What I do know is that this knife is a terrific bargain, and is a blank canvas to work with.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered

Smile G-13

The G13 I ordered just arrived and I realized I don't have the proper size Torx to assemble it. Could someone advise on what sizes I might need to assemble the kit. Very nice design, size and great knife for the money. I mostly forge fixed blades but the heat and humidity here in Florida is brutal, so the knife kit is a nice inside project I can do to avoid the 115 deg F shop with the forge going. Thanks

Disregard my post. I found a set of small TORX ####### at a local hardware store. Problem solved.

Last edited by R. Guess; 07-10-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: found the answer
Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 AM

Sorry I didn't get back to you more quickly with an answer. I haven't handled the G13 kits and was not able to say for certain what size screws it uses. I sent an e-mail over there yesterday but haven't heard back yet.

To deal with this sort of problem in the future, when you get a chance I suggest you pick-up one of the 8-n-1 ####### by Husky. It includes Torx sizes as small as #4. Knifekits.com sells 'em.
http://www.knifekits.com/store/s-pag...main.htm~smain

Have fun!

Dennis Greenbaum

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 07-11-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Just got an update directly from Alex...

Quote:
"That model uses T6 and T10 Torx screws in the design. The T10 is on the pivot."
I had mentioned to Alex that I was going to suggest you get the Husky 8-n-1 (I have two in my shop)...Here is his response:

Quote:
He should get a Husky because it's a great tool. I know why you like yours... I love mine!!!
I hope that helps!

Dennis

Old 07-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Registered

Dennis, Thanks for your response and info. I browsed the site here and read FAQ, even got out Machinery's Handbook but didn't find any info on TORX sizes.
I found a set similar to the 8 in 1 you mentioned at a local hardware store. They worked perfectly. The G-13 went together smoothly. I just tweaked the lock a bit with a jewelers file and after 3 assemblies, it was just right.

Tags
blade, forge, knife