MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-08-2001, 01:34 AM
CKDadmin

Treadle Hammer by Blacksmith Rick

Posted for Rick ...

Old 04-08-2001, 06:35 AM
Dana Acker

Gadgets, gadgets, gadgets, why do I love 'em so much? Very nice. Did you build it Rick?
Old 04-08-2001, 09:53 AM
Roger Gregory

Now THAT would annoy the neighbours : I want one!

Nice work Rick

Roger
Old 04-08-2001, 12:16 PM
Clinker

I have one my farther-in-law welded for me it was a kit from Jere Killpatrick. Mine is a little different though. Tell me something what can you do with Treadle Hammer? I bought the thing hopeing to use it on knives. Ive had it for a few years now just taking up room,If I cant put it to use I want to get rid of it.
Old 04-09-2001, 09:05 AM
BlacksmithRick

Thanks Alex for posting the picture for me.

Treadle hammers take the place of a striker and third hand. Leaves both hands free to hold work while giving a blow with the foot. The blow can be from very light to very heavy - whatever the user needs at the time.

I view treadle hammers filling the gap between hand hammers and power hammers. My hammer has a 70 pound head. Gives a much harder blow than a hand hammer, moving metal very fast.

Example - use drawing dies to thin out a leaf spring fast, or a cutting die to hot cut springs into blade blanks, or make dies to emboss a pattern on iron work in a single stamp.

ABANA has a three tape video set by Clay Spencer on using the treadle hammer than can be rented. Need to be an ABANA member to rent.

Rick Leeson

Old 04-09-2001, 09:50 AM
Dana Acker

Rick, do you make your own dies? Also is this hammer of your design, or did you purchase it? Or did you build it from another design? A kit perhaps? Would like some info. It's a neat hammer.
Old 04-09-2001, 11:02 AM
runningdogknife

Rick, I can see you've been busy!

Like Dana said...Do you have plans for this beast?

Let's see some knives coming up...Have you made anymore Damascus lately?

Michael
Running Dog
Old 04-09-2001, 01:42 PM
Baltes189

Is there any free plans for one of these beast out there, because I have only came across ones they want $ for. Also about a month ago SOFA did a tredle hammer class and everyone who signed up helped make the hammers and each person got there own hammer, but I think it was like $200 or $400 dollors do you think I can make a hammer cheaper then that? I guess that class is going to be a reocureing thing too so if any are interested...
Old 04-09-2001, 07:10 PM
BlacksmithRick

I used the Clay Spencer plans sold through Norm Larsen Books for $7.50. It cost me about $275 to build plus my time.

Old 04-10-2001, 09:45 AM
J Loose

Hey Rick,

That's a nice lookin' mo-sheen... I think treadle hammers are under-rated in the knife making community.

What is the pedestal? Looks like the same square tubing as the back... filled with something?

As a note: Fill the back tubing with sand- it weighs the back side down, prevents "walking," and seriously cuts on the noise. I also have mine sitting in a close-fitting box filled with sand as I haven't had the time to bolt it down. It absorbs much shock and noise- my house no longer shakes with each blow and the the neighbors swear they can't hear a thing.
Old 04-10-2001, 01:03 PM
Bog Iron

SOFA

I think the next "hands on" workshop SOFA is doing will be on gas forges.

Their one on building your own triphammer was a blast even though we only built the one hammer and then drew lots for it.

BTW you can build a mechanical hammer for not much more effort than building a treadle hammer; at the SOFA meeting last Saturday, Ed Rhodes demo'd his mini hammer that actually fit on top of his anvil and had a motor driven 10# (estimated) tup that would hit a couple of times a second when it was going all out...

Bog Iron
Old 04-10-2001, 01:17 PM
Dana Acker

Re: SOFA

Thomas, you wouldn't have a pictue of that little mechanical hammer, would you? That sounds neat as all get out.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:49 PM
Baltes189

sofa

Man, I was going to go to that one too, dam. Ow well I'm sure they will have a picture of it in the newsletter. Was it like a oliver hammer or somthing?
Old 04-11-2001, 11:45 AM
Bog Iron

mini hammer

Nope I didn't get a picture. It was *not* like an oliver it looked like the full size hammer we built at the powerhammer workshop only sized down to fit on the anvil. Basically a varient of a helve hammer.

The basics were: a 1/3 horse motor belted to a shaft that drove an excentric that was coupled to a "teeter totter beam" with a pivot near the middle and the far end was coupled to the tup that ran in ways and used the anvil as the anvil. The belt was slack until the bail was trod upon, the bail pulling the motor mount tightening the belt (no idler pulley)

The beam was made from straightened buggy springs. The pivot was clamped on and the bearing was pipe in pipe. The coupling in the front was two pipe in pipe bearings that the beam fit in between giving some flexibility to the coupling. IIRC the back coupling was bolted to the beam (so it's adjustable) with a pipe in pipe bearing with the pitman welded to the outer pipe.

The thing was dead simple once you saw it; any welder could make up one in their sleep. Ed did a good design with lots of lube points and a nice guard over the tup ways in front. The thing is tuned by the positions of the couplings and the length of the pitman.

I sure hope they do do a good picture in the newsletter our local groups welder in chief missed the meeting too!

I'll miss the next meeting cause I'm demo'ing at the OSU Medieval Fair; but should be back up that way for the coal shovel-in in a couple of weeks.

Bog Iron

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knife making, knives