MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Steel Addict

Torch Heat Treat Oystyer Knives

Greetings All,
Well, my brother-in-law, wanted some Oyster knives, so I took the chance to rest my arm and do some smaller projects.

I have never used a torch to heat steel for hardening, or for drawing the temper........so I decided that these little babies would be the perfect thing to try it out on. The fellow in the shop across from me offered use of his acydeline set-up whenever I wanted to use it. It comes in handy for heating tangs for burning in the handle, and this time I decided to try doing the entire heat-tretment process with it.

I think it worked out fine, and since these are not really expected to cut, I took the opportunity to give it a go. It was real fun, and so quick. Plus whatever this German steel from the pitchfork i used for these blades was...it sure heat treated nice. I think I will use the back of the fork to make a blade since it got so nice and hard when I quenched the littel oyster blades.

I will be sure to shoot out a pic when they are done! The handles are of some wickedly hard mahogany flooring that a friend gave me some scraps of.

I hope you enjopy the image.

Don Carlos

Old 03-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Living Legend

Any blades I HT that are 2" or shorter I use a couple of MAPP gas torches. It's faster, cleaner and I can hold the torch on them right into the quench. That is an interesting design for oyster knives. I made a couple last spring and they worked great.

You can buy them for $4-5 but where's the fun in that?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Steel Addict

Well Folks Here they are. My bro-in-law will be cracking some oysters open this weekend! I hope he likes them.

I was happy with how they came out. As with most of what I have been doing lately, it is a first for me.

Forged blades, santos mohogany handles, copper sleve with bail-pin & lanyard, with freshwater pearl set in the other side, and bronze pin holding them together; and some snappy little sheaths so you can throw one in your pocket safely.

Enjoy

Don Carlos

Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Skilled

Those are NICE! I really like your creativity. You're stone work is way cool too.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Hall of Famer

29 Palms and oysters?? Desert oysters??

Just had to post, I live in Wa State, Puget Sound, oysters right down the road on the beach.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 03-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Living Legend

I just BBQd a couple dozen the other night right in the shell. A little butter and garlic tobasco and your in business.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Steel Addict

Yeah, It's pretty strange, as I have lived on the coast of California all my life. AND ultimately grew-up eating lots of goodies from the sea, whether it was up where my grandma lived in Fortuna near Eureka where crab abounded for so many years and is now coming back, or to the south where I lived, and as a youth the frequent fishing trips out of Redondo.

It is strange, but I have eaten more fish since I moved to the desert.......but I must explain; my family owns a resort, and resturant...so they get fresh fish from LA each day for their resturant, and for Thanksgiving they do a spread of sushi, seared albicore, tons of oysters too.....oh yeah, and turkey too.

It was my wife's fathers tradition of drinking Mickys Big Mouth beers, and shucking oysters on the lawn by the oasis that still lives to this day. By bro-in-law lives in the bay area (San Francisco)...so he eats oyster more often than we do out here....but we make up for it durring the holidays!

Thanks for sharing the images of your oyster-que. It looks yummy and is how I prefer them too. Most of the folks just slurp them down raw, thus the shuckers.

Don Carlos

Tags
knives