MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-11-2002, 12:39 AM
DWDavidson

Seeking some advice on making my first fixed blade...

First off let me say thank you to everyone on these forums. I have learned alot just by reading through the massive amounts of information here.

Next let me explain my situation. My wife is in the Air Force and we are stationed in Turkey right now so I am limited in the things I can do. (No large fires or pounding hammers). So I can't really play with the idea of learning to forge at all at this time. So stock removal is where i must start. A hack saw, some files, a dremal and an 8 inch delta drill press are my major tools. All so I have access to a large pottery kiln for heat treating (if this will work). I stopped by and checked the temps it is capable of and if I remeber right 2500f was the top temp.

My first question is what steel should I use for this first attempt. I want something that is very forgiving. Looking through the forum i see O1 listed alot as a good beginer steel but I wanted to double check before i order some.

Next question is do i need to buy heat treat foil or can i treat the blade without it. If the foil just cuts down on the scale I dont mind the extra work if cost is a factor. Once i heat treat can i let O1 air harden and then soften the spine with a propane torch?

And last question I plan on making a Loveless style drop point hunter or and asno style sheep foot ( Mr. Asno Gorgeous Knifes BTW). What size stock would you recomend I buy for these types of blades.

I have made several Darrel Ralph 605 folder kits for friends but now I really want to get to the point where authorship is 100% mine and of course would like it turn out as well as i can possibly make it for a first attempt..=) SO I figured a fixed blade would be a good starting point.

Thank you for your time in advance,
David W. Davidson
ddavidson@wrightfield.com

Old 01-11-2002, 03:01 AM
Sylvester

Hey David, I`ll see if Ican help An these are just my opinions
now that I have said that here we go.

1- O1 is a good steel so is 1095 an 1084 you can`t
go wrong with any one of these.

2- Heat treat foil, I never use it

3-O1 is oil harden I use veteable oil to harden my blades

4- Yes you can soften the back with a torch but you
need to kept the lower say !/3 of the blade in water.
Or you could just edge quench the blade that will
give you your soft back.

5- Loveless, I would use 5/32 for Asno knife I say 1/8 in.
but you can use either one of the steel for both knives

I hope this helps as I said this is just my $0.02

Oh the kiln- 2500f yes it should work just fine
Old 01-11-2002, 03:22 AM
DWDavidson

That helps alot...Thanks.

For the oil harden (this willbe my first time doing this) I take it you fill a pan with veg. oil then just dip the first 2/3 of the blade edge down into oil directly from the furnace?

Thanks again Sylvester..=)

David
Old 01-11-2002, 09:09 AM
Gary Mulkey

David,
I am still new at this game and learning myself but here's my two cents worth. If you decide on O-1, I would hold it at 1450/1500 degrees for twenty minutes before quenching. I have used several different oils to quench from used motor oil to peanut oil and haven't seen any large difference. I do think it helps to quench in five gallons of oil rather than a small amount. You may have access to that much used oil there. I would also heat the oil to 120-130 degrees first. The easiest way is to heat a piece of sacrificial metal and place it in the quench tank/bucket. I would used an interupted quench (completely immerse the blade momentarily and remove, repeat,etc. until it reachs room temp. The main idea is to bring it from critical to room temp in less than 15 sec. but not so fast as to cause shock in the steel.

I would do a double temper of two hours at 400 degrees. For this you can use your kitchen stove (as long as your wife doesn't object).

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Gary
Old 01-11-2002, 02:06 PM
Bob Warner

Your wife won't mind so much if you use peanut oil, it does not smell too bad.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:38 PM
DWDavidson

Thanks Gary I will post pictures as i make progress on the project.

I do belive the veg./peanut oil will work out great, and make the wife happier than motor oil in the oven. You now just in case I miss a spot. I get stern looks for the smell that micarta gives off when im grinding it for handles on the back patio as it is now. No sense getting myself in any more trouble than is the norm. for me...=)

Also I would like to extend my gratitude to Bob Warner for a great web page chock full of good advice and information.

Thanks Bob...=)
Old 01-12-2002, 12:25 AM
Sylvester

Wait untill you grin on some antlers or horn
Any time bubba, I don`t have all the answers
but I`ll do what I can.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:01 AM
C L Wilkins

Uh, when you quench, do it outside and have something close by (like a lid or a cover) to extinguish the oil fire. Hot tongs are are big culprit.

Craig
Old 01-12-2002, 08:58 AM
Bob Warner

That visitor was you? I really wanted a visitor to the site.

I enjoy helping others as much as doing it myself. I could have just put up a page that says, here is my stuff for sale.
That is not much fun, getting people interested and offering solutions to their problems BEFORE they make too many time and money mistakes is fun. I have recieved a few cudos for the web page and as long as people are going there and using the info, it will be available.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife