MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 12-23-2002, 07:12 AM

Dozier Slim Outdoorsman

Standard Disclaimer: Santa, I need a digi-cam for Christmas. Made this for a Dozier Slim Outdoorsman. Left side carry, 40 deg cant for right-hand draw. Blunted tip for easy carry under a shirt tail without catching. Check out the braiding, done by the owner, Schwert in Seattle. He's doing one for my Keith Coleman small hunter as we speak
MtMike

Old 12-23-2002, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats MtMike - that's real purty! I really like the color.

Looks like you got an edger - makes a difference don't it?
The braid is real nice too. Looks like a four strand round braid and some Turk's head or maybe Chinese knots? This is actually pretty easy to learn. Let me know and I'll shoot you some directions if you're interested in learning.

Happy Holidays

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:04 PM

Chuck -- thanks for the kind words, and yes, on all counts. I had always thought of an edger as only an alignment tool, nice to have but not necessaary, until I actually used one. I'm sure there are a hundred other gizmos out there that fall into that category. I'll keep reading and learning, and I'll find more eventually. Blind pig, and all that.
Randy gave me the name of the book that he learned the braiding technique from, but I'd gladly accept anything you have to offer.
MtMike

Old 12-23-2002, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mike here are the basics for the round braid and a simple knot. Get any of Bruce Grant's braiding for more and better info.
Here is how to do a 4 strand round braid

Here is a neat little knot using one strand. You start by threading it through the 4 strand piece to hold it in place

Here are a couple of pics of a riding crop I did a while back. I don't do much now because my fingers get too stiff. The first pic is a four strand flat into four strand round on both ends. The second pic is of the whole grip. The knot on both ends of the end of the grip is a lone star knot and the other two are Spanish ring knots. I've done a few knife grips with braid work and also decorated sheaths with it. Something different anyway.

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:04 AM
Enthusiast

Mike, that sheath looks excellent and well thought out.

Phil. 4:13

Never mistake kindness for weakness.

Lifter's Leather

Recommended by Lifter: www.customknives.com/jonesbrothers
Old 12-24-2002, 07:44 AM

Chuck --yes, Bruce Grant is one of the refs that Randy sent me -- thanks for the pics, I'll copy them soon as I get back to the mountains.
Lifter, in the future I'll do scans of the back too (thought I had here, but can't find it) -- the canted flat loop is different from most of my sheaths. Leatherman gave me some tips on laying a flat loop on a pouch. I think this sheath gallery idea was a great one - thanks again Dave.
Amd Merry Christmas all, from Sunny South Florida,
Mike

Old 12-24-2002, 01:41 PM
Guru

Very nice sheath Mike. Like the blunt tip idea.Bet your glad your in Florida and not in the snow in Colorado.Enjoy,Dave
Old 12-24-2002, 03:28 PM

Dave -- Christmas without snow?? Only for my daughter !! We'll have a real Rocky Mtn Christmas when we get home Friday, log on the fire, frost on the windows, whitetails wandering thru the drifts in the front yard. Yeh, Christmas ! And a Merry Christmas to you and all the Forumites.
Chuck -- I kinda mis-spoke, yes I got the edger, and yes it definitely does make a difference, just another skill ro master. But what I thought you were referring to was a stitching groover, which I've also started using recently. That's what I meant by alignment aid. But it also makes a more finished looking product (hitting the groove on the backside definitely takes more concentration, but I keep telling myself to take those last few steps more slowly anyway) Thanks, good tips my friend,
Mike

Old 12-24-2002, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Here is one trick for "hitting the groove". Groove the face piece and do the other things to the face as I mentioned in the sewing tutorial. After gluing the back to the face and getting the edges even and perpendicular adjust the groover to match exactly to the front groove. Then groove the backside. Since you probably sanded a bit of meat off the face pieces edge the groover will be slightly off if you don't re-adjust it.
Then clamp it in the pony/horse and line the bottom edge of the groove on the face up with the top of the jaws. Lay a flat of your diamond awl on the jaw top, which should help align the tip to the correct angle and SLOWLY push the hole on through the back piece. Keep an eye on the backside and if the awl tip punches through slightly off, adjust the awl and re-punch. This helps even if you haven't pre-punched the holes in the front piece as I suggested.

Those "extras" are what make all the difference. It probably took me five years to figure out most of the techniques (reading every book I could get my hands on and asking really helped - but even now after all this time I'm still finding new/different ways and adapting them to my style). I figure it will take me the rest of my life to try and perfect them.

Should be a good bunch of new snow when you get back to the high country. We got about a foot of it in the last couple of days and more is it on it's way according to the weather folks.

Feliz Navidad-
Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 12-24-2002, 07:54 PM

"....there's not a better feeling,
on the planet anywhere,
than a quiet Christmas Morning,
in the Colorado snow"
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
HOHOHO !!
MtMike

PS: Chuck, I also forgot to ask Santa for a pony !

Old 12-24-2002, 08:53 PM
Guru

Mike, how about on a beach in Florida building sand castles at 80 degrees. HOHOHOHO, Dave
Old 01-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Steel Addict

Here is Mike's Keith Coleman after I fitted the braid.

WildRose, your guesses were mostly right on. All the knots are integral and I start off with 4 strings.

I highly recommend David Morgan's new book "Braiding Fine Leather" in addition to the Grant books for anyone who wants to do this. David taught me to braid.

This is a handcut kangaroo lace braid. I middled the 4 strands for a 4 plait lanyard loop, brought these together for an 8 plait, 4 seam braid terminated with a crown and wall knot. Then brought the strands back together for 4 plait tails terminated with another crown and wall knot.

This is the first two-color work I have ever done and the first work I have ever done for someone else. I thought the black and tan worked well with the Buffalo Horn scales.

I just sent the knife back to Mike. My only concern is that I may have made the lanyard a bit too long. I got carried away photographing the process on my new camera! Hopefully as soon as I edit up the images I can post a pictorial.

Old 01-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Schwert-

Good to see your work. You're a Lucky man - No better teacher anywhere than David Morgan. I lived north of you in Mt Vernon up until 1995. I first met David in 1987 when I went to his old store in Ballard. Visited him several times after that and he was always willing to show me a braiding trick or two.
For those who don't know, David Morgan is the man who made the Indiana Jones bullwhip. He is an absolute master. I watched in awe one time when with nothing more than a sharp knife and his long thumbnail as a guide he cut a 24' TAPERED strip from a circle of roo hide and then turned and grinned, "See it's easy!" Yah Shoor as they say in Ballard!

I'll be anxious to see your pictorial.

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 01-02-2003 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Steel Addict

Wild Rose,

Just after David showed me how to braid, I went home and made myself a nice Bolo. A few days later I went back to his shop and from across the room David said, "Your knots do not match". To this day I think the knots match, and proudly wear my Bolo. He is indeed a master craftsman.

David nearly always pares off the edges of his lace to make the round braids slide together very neatly. He has shown me how to do this a couple of times and it looks like Childs play. I go home and chop up some perfectly good lace and decide that I really like the appearance of unpaired lace.

My wife bought me one of David's 10' Bull Whips a few years back...outdoor use only I only wish I could braid one-tenth as well.

I visited him just after Christmas to get the Black lace for Mike's knife. I bought his new book, which he began writing 30 years ago. Digital photos made the difference for him. It is a clear easy-to-use book, I found I had been making the same mistake in my 6 plait braids since I started.

I find braiding to be easy and relaxing....except when you are doing it for someone else! I hope Mike likes this one.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to have to get that book! I don't do much braiding anymore due to the fact my old wore out fingers get too stiff if I do too much, but I do like to keep my hand in. The Grant books are great but this sounds even better.
BTW for those that don't know this little leather fact, kangaroo hide is about twice as strong as the same thickness of cowhide. When I buy commerial lace it is the only stuff I get due to that fact alone - much less breakage than calf lace.

Skiving your edges is a real art. I never did get the knack of it either so I either buy commerical lace or go wwith the square eges too.

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Tags
blade, knife