MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Steel Addict

Windows XP ...Can't log on to my own PC anymore?

I was messing around with my computer...trying to clean it up and make it run faster. Not sure exactly what I was doing..but was using a Norton system maintaainance program and started turning off programs that were running in the background...or something like that.

Anyway, now I can't log onto my own computer when it boots up. I have Window XP (home). The computer seems to boot up OK..then brings you to the "welcome" screen where you click on a user icon. Since, I'm the only user, I only have one choice.. admin.

So when I click on it, it briefly flashes " loading your personal settings..."

then I see a quick glimpse of me desktop....then back to the welcome screen where it says "logging off..."...then "saving your personal settings"...

This process repeats everytime I click on my user Icon.....hence , I cannot get logged on.

I have no idea where to start. I tried restarting in "safe" mode...but it does the same thing.

Whattay think?

Sincerely,
Rob

Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Rob,

Do you have the Windows install CD? If you do, insert the CD then restart the computer. When the Windows installation screen comes up, select the "Repair" option.

Once you repair, you should hopefully be able to log in. Once you get logged in, the first thing you need to do is download and run AdAware (www.lavasoft.com) and Spybot Search & Destroy (www.safer-networking.org). Your userinit registry key has been changed by some spyware, so you need to scan for it and get rid of it.

If that doesn't work, we'll need to try using Recovery Console. Much more involved.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Steel Addict

Edit: hang tight!..it's booting from the CD drive now..

Hmmm...found the OS cd that came with my Gateway. It has Win XP home edition and says" use this CD to reinstall your OS"

instructions: insert CD
Restart
follow on-screen instructions

...But when I do this, the welcom screen apprears as described in my intitial post....and nothing changes. I don't think the computer is actually booting up from the CD.

I tried with a XP-pro CD... as well. I checked the BIOS settings for boot priority..and verified that it boots from CD 1st...then HD.

Now what do you think?

-Rob

Last edited by Rob Frink; 01-28-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Just be sure you don't re-install -- you want to repair. If you re-install, you lose everything...

(I just realized that I may not have been clear on this point... )

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 AM

Really a left-field answer, but try hitting the 'esc' key instead of the Admin icon. That once took me beyond that point.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Steel Addict

Got it!! wahoo!! Jamey, that did the trick. I had troubles at first where it wouldn't read the CD rom very consistent and couldn't find files on the winxp disk. I swapped CD rom drives with another computer and it worked flawlessly.

Now the computer seems to run faster than ever... it's old and really never ran very fast ...I'm just glad that is is running again.(hee hee).

Anyway...Coop and Jamey, thanks again for the help!!!

-Rob

Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 AM

Good for YOU!

All credit goes to Jamie.

Coop (Who is now converting to Mac. Snob mode is on... )

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 PM

Glad you got it working, Rob. I was beginning to be afraid that I had inadvertently led you to wipe your machine clean, and you were just looking for my address...

Coop, for what you do for a living, a Mac is probably the best choice. For the rest of us, PC it is. I'd be running Linux if it weren't for the fact that there is some software I need for my work that isn't available on Linux.

I tend to buck the trend when it comes to what's popular, but the elitist attitude of the Mac fanboys just pisses me off and makes me want to stay away.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 PM

Jamie,

I am underwhelmed by the programs available for this Mac. Quicken is much less quality, NO ACDSee image viewer, the 'Finder' isn't nearly as effective as Explorer for managing files, and MS Entourage isn't even close to MS Outlook.

The good things are ease of installations and uninstalls, and the virus potential is all but gone.

Relearning a new OS is simply not easy, and I did not find the interface 'intuitive'. It is getting easier on me now.

My old PC now lives in the kitchen for my wife and I to work from there.

Rob,

Glad you got it together.

Coop

Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 AM

I was in a CompUSA with my boss a couple of years ago, and while he was picking out his new laptop, I moseyed on over to the Apple section. I figured I'd see just how "easy to use" those things were.

I couldn't get one single application to open.

Not one.

And I'm a professional geek.

I spent ten minutes in the Apple section, and the only thing I was able to accomplish was to admire the backgrounds.

Easy to use, my @$$...

And now...