MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:15 PM

Biting the Apple...

Well after upgrading to a faster PC last year, I have spent a gazillion hours reconfiguring and repairing it. Viruses, memory configurations, device #######, bad hard drives, all conspired against me. I know enough to fix things after I get into trouble....

Right now it is running really well, as I have figured out my ailments and bought a spam-delivered product called 'System Mechanic' that really DID clean up a gaggle of hidden problems and made it run faster...

But....

After discussing with others and wishing to continue in this field for at least a few more years, I stepped up and ordered a complete Mac Pro tower system from www.MacMall.com

2.66ghx dual-core processor, 4gb ram, 250GB H/D Plus a wireless card for future networking needs and MS Office software to read/create my existing paper file work.

I already have a 22" Samsung monitor and a 500GB external HD.

I've been working on PC's since my first DOS IBM 8088, and change is hard. Still, when I think of the time I have spent lately on computer ailments vs productivity, I just have to step away.

I'll keep you posted.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Steel Addict

BUUUUWAAAAAAHAAAAAAA!!!!

I love my Mac. Welcome to the sunny side, Jim!!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Guru

Coop, I think you're going to find the transition easier than you expect, Macs are much nicer than they once were. I don't run one, but I know several folks that do and I've been pleased with everything I've seen. I'm a unix guy by trade, so it may be bias on my part, but it's one heck of a nice platform imo.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 07-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Guru

I think you are going to like it Jim.

I have a couple windows laptops, mostly run Linux for the same reasons (have been running it since the 2nd or 3rd public release in the early 90's).

However, my wife is running a powerbook. It is a great system, and is usually very easy to keep up and running and clean from the typical windows systems.

Have fun, it is a good system.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 07-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Coop, I bought a Mac Pro (same configuration as yours) in March, and I love it. For what it's worth, call Adobe and tell them you are switching to the Mac platform, and they will give you a Mac version of Photoshop just for shipping costs (mine was $6!).

I still have (and use) a couple of PCs- moving everything -even silly stuff like my calendar and contact information- is a major chore, if it is doable at all.

Bottom line: very good move! No regrets.

Don Cowles Custom Knives