MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Anybody else having problems with AV Webmail?

Every since the webmail upgrade, I keep getting annoyed with my Webmail (the mail that comes with AV service). Seems like every other time I log in, and then click on anything, I get an error message saying something like "invalid cookies" and the only way to get into anything is to login again....sometimes that works, and sometimes I have to login 2-3 more times before I can get into my email.

I've emailed Alex a couple of times, and followed his directions of unchecking the boxes on the login screen, but still get the same error. I thought someone here might be able to help me, rather than bugging Alex again. Seems like every time I have a "problem" it's something stupid that I don't know about....I'm sure Alex gets tired of me asking dumb questions!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-30-2006, 09:28 AM

I can't help you on this. I direct all my AV mail to my Outlook program, and to this, it works fine. I only rarely use the webmail interface, and it's not as convenient.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 11-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

I'm limited to using a web based email. My ISP "updated" their email security features about a year ago, which I found out later meant that the only emails that are allowed to pass through their server are ones with their suffix on the address. Since my email suffix is caffreyknives.net, their servers kick them, or anything coming to that address out as spam. This is why I can't use any of the software based email programs.
I talked with them about it and their solution was.... "Move your website to our servers, we'll only charge you XXXX dollars more, and the problem will be solved." I'm sorta stuck with them since it's either them or dial-up service....nobody else around here has high speed available. Maybe one of these days Great Falls will have more ISPs to choose from, but for right now I'm between a rock and hard place.

The issue with webmail isn't something that keeps me from using it, it's just darned annoying when I have to log in 2-3 times to get to my emails.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-30-2006, 03:23 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I had (have) the same issue with Bellsouth. They won't allow me to send an email with my DSL connection from home since my email server is the one for my domain with AV. If you use an email server other than Bellsouth's, they don't allow the email out. I can check it just fine though. I called their "tech support" to ask them why they were blocking the email port, only to be assured that they weren't. I finally got a manager senior enough to know that they are blocking the port. He told me it was to prevent spam being sent through "their" connections. When asked if they could open the port for me, he told me no, unless I upgrade to their "business class" DSL. Same speeds up and down, twice the money. No thanks.

I proceeded to be very vocal in my intent to kick them to the curb ASAP for keeping me from using a server that I am paying for to send my emails. "Just use our server." I DON'T WANT TO! I HAVE MY OWN!

Now I just use gmail to send outgoing mails from home. You can "spoof" the from address in Gmail to look like it came from your domain. It's a hassle, though.

Sorry. I really hate Bellsouth. Wish we could get cable internet where I live.

I don't use the web-based interface, so I can't be sure, but you may want to try deleting the cookies for your domain and see if that helps. The cookie may be corrupted, and deleting it will cause it to be recreated.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 11-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Registered

what about setting up an autoforward to your local ISP email address?
you have ed@cafferyknives.net
set up an email account at your local ISP which included I'm sure, say ed@PITA-ISP.com
have your AV account autoforward email to ed@PITA-ISP.com and you can use outlook or any other email software. You'll have to go in occasionally and clean things out but so what?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'd thought about something along those lines, but when I found that the email account through my ISP was useless (at least that's what I thought then), I told the ISP to take it off my account. They were charging me an extra $5 per month to have email. So, what I did was told them I didn't want email anymore.

BUT! You bring up a good point. I do have a second web based email (Gmail) that I started up strictly for the website....... I was just on Webmail trying to figure out how to forward things from that account to the Gmail account. Coop made me think about that when he mentioned he has all his webmail directed to Outlook. Now if I can just figure out how to do that....must be somewhere I missed looking, either that or I'm just an idiot!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 12-01-2006, 08:30 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Go to your website control panel (PM me if you need more explicit instructions) and click on Email manager. You can set options for your address, including forwarding.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 12-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Jamey! I decided to try forwarding my webmail to my other account for a couple of days and see how it works out.
Last night I was in the middle of long email to a customer on AV webmail and when I tried to send it, I got "Session cookies do not contain the proper information", and it dumped a 1/2 hours worth of writing! I was madder than a wet hen!

One of these days I'll take the time to fully explore the web control panel and figure out all the neat features I'm missing.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 12-01-2006, 09:28 AM

You're welcome, Ed. I'd still suggest trying deleting the cookie before you go to too much trouble with the forwarding. If it's a corrupted cookie (and it sounds like it is) deleting it should fix the problem.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jamey!

I dumped all the cookies...again. Alex recommended that when I first started having this issue, and it seemed to work for a day or two, then right back to the same old error messages. I just finished dumping the cookies again, we'll see what happens this time.

Thanks again for all your help!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com