MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Searching for a couple of programs......

Thought I would see if anyone here might have a "in" to a reasonable price of some software. I've decided that over the fall/winter this year my website is getting a total rebuild. I've looked at a bunch of different software, and have narrowed my needs down to a couple of programs. First is Dreamweaver 8, in no small part because it is what Alex recommends. The second software I've been looking for is Photoshop....at least version 6 or better.

I've downloaded and started playing with the trial version of Dreamweaver 8, and although I'm still VERY green with the software, what I see, I like. I've never owned or used Photoshop, but have seen what's it's capable of, and know I also want it.

So, now to the meat of the matter. Both of these softwares can get kinda spendy.....anybody know where I can get either/both for a reasonable price?

Thank Gang!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Living Legend

Ed,

Can't help you get them but would appreciate a tutorial on their use from somone. I got both from my brother cause they were to complicated for him. They are complicated to me also and I am not able to do what I want with them yet.

Maybe you can buy an old version from someone and then just get the upgrade. Could save a bunch.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!

Last edited by Bob Warner; 09-03-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Skilled

here is a link to one place for used software. also for tutorials on most any software you can try www.abebooks.com.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPP-software..._range_140_220
Old 09-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Steel Addict

I can't tell you where to get a deal on the software but I can tell you that both have a pretty steep learning curve.

Photoshop is THE photo program in my opinion and it is the most often used by professionals. It's not too hard to learn some of the basic but there is so much to this program that I have used it for years and I'm still learning new things I can do with it. The shelf price is steep, around $600. You can get Photoshop Elements for around $100. I have not used it but I have been told its kind of a Photoshop Lite version so it might do everything you want. You can find some excellent books on Photoshop in the bookstores. If you are going to be doing a lot detailed digital photo work or graphic arts I would highly recommend a graphics tablet such as those sold by Wacom. A mouse simply is not precise enough for precision drawing.

I recently aquired Dreamwever MX and I am in the process of learning it. Having been a long-time user of FrontPage, Dreamwever is very different. At this point I can't tell you a lot about it. I will say that even though I know Dreamweaver is a more powerful program, FrontPage is much easier to use. However FrontPage does have some limitations and drawbacks.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Ed, Microsoft and others have programs for students and teachers. The bookstore at our local University has all the software available at a very small price to anyone who is a student or teacher.

Find yourself a student.