MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:33 AM
Registered

Send a message via MSN to daveb948576
Cool setting up remote desktop xp>2000

i have put another pc in the house for the wife to use and now i would like to be able to use remote desktop i have done some of it but im a little stuck now on just connecting.

i have xp on the main computer and windows 2000 on the other microsoft gave me some software to put onto the other pc which i have done and now i have set remote desktop on this pc because it was in the help file and now i cant do the other one because windows 2000 isnt in the help file.

does anyone have any information at all about setting up the windows 2000 pc to accept a remote desktop.

also i had read something about a locked desktop on the xp pc to be able to get to this one from the other (win2000>winxp) now how do i lock the desktop on windows xp?

good luck with that and thanks. it is my first thread and post. hi.

Dave.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Registered

this is the error massage anyway

i just dont now how to set up a windows 2000 pc for remote assistance i cant see it anywhere but the software is there for it i have just connected to the main pc with it.

does 2000 have a firewall do i have to change settings in gpedit.msc or am i missing something here
Old 08-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Guru

win2k dprofessional does not have remote desktop capabilities. now win2k server does. You can download the remote desktopsoftware from microsoft.com for all the way down to windows 95 and mac.

You can use vnc programs, pc anywhere and host services like gotomypc.com (among others) to connect to those machines.

firewall in 2k is non-existing as well.

Ed

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 08-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNet
win2k dprofessional does not have remote desktop capabilities. now win2k server does. You can download the remote desktopsoftware from microsoft.com for all the way down to windows 95 and mac.

You can use vnc programs, pc anywhere and host services like gotomypc.com (among others) to connect to those machines.

firewall in 2k is non-existing as well.

Ed
can you tell me more about windows 2000 server i have 4 os's on one cd and i picked professional looks like i can do a little upgrade i hope to either go to one of these...

windows 2000 pro
windows 2000 server?
windows 2000 advanced server?
windows 2000 data center server?

which one of these would be best to pick from its just two pc's i have here oen on xp and the otehr can just about take 2000 so i cant uprade at the minute.