MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Steel Addict

Any idea what this is?

In the past two days, I have run AdAware SE, SpyBot Search and Destroy, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta Version and the Free Housecall from AntiVirus.com to solve this problem. I've also run special scans of my antivirus program in addition to the automatic scheduled scans, but to no avail. I take all the regular security updates from Microsoft automatically, also. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.

Something is attacking my IE 6 browser, I think. I just don't know what.

I have set yahoo.com as my home page. I use it for checking the news and my girlfriend uses it for e-mail.

If you'll take a moment and navigate to yahoo.com you'll see several popular articles in the area "In The News." These headlines are limned in blue, normally. If you click on any article and go back to the home page again, you'll see that the article you read is now limned in purple to show you've read it.

Something on my machine, however, is causing articles I've never read to appear in purple as if I have read them. This happens across browser sessions, but I can make it appear right if I clear my history and refresh the page. But whenever I reopen the browser, at least one article will still appear in purple as if I have read it.

This has been nothing more than a nuisance for about a week. Until THIS problem appeared.

If you look at the center-left of the Yahoo home page, you'll see links to things like Yahoo games, Maps and Personals. For at least three days, the Personals link has appeard limned in purple as if I had gone there and used it. I haven't. This problem stays across browser sessions and I can't get rid of it by clearing the history and refreshing the page.

NO, I'm sure the gf is not browsing the Yahoo Personals, either. But she has been looking at me in a weird way, and coming to sit down beside me more often when I'm on the computer. I told her it was happening yesterday, and she saw it too but she "Just thought you clicked on it by mistake."

It's kind of funny, but still I'd like to solve this right away. If it's attacking my browser on the Yahoo page, I fear it has the potential to get into her Yahoo e-mail account, too. She uses that e-mail account for Ebay and such, and I'd like to nip any potential problems there in the bud.

Thanks in advance.
Sam

Last edited by Sam Wereb; 02-10-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Sam:

I never use Yahoo. Never. I feel it is a waste. But being in the IT field I took a look.

Personals indicated I had clicked on it. I never did. The same items you mentioned in purple are displayed in purple for me. Looks like a Yahoo issue. Not you.

Switch to a plain Google home page.

Thanks, Steve

Guns, Big Knives, Outdoors www.ramanon.com
Old 02-11-2006, 05:06 AM
Skilled

I use Yahoo as well and the same issues appear on mine.

Bob
Old 02-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Steel Addict

Then it's unanamous. We all have must have been to the personals sight. Even Sam's g/f!

Guns, Big Knives, Outdoors www.ramanon.com

Tags
switchblade