MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Next Evolution......video capture and edit!

Maybe I'm wading in over my head, but I'm going to give video capture and editing a try. So far I have the hardware installed (Pinnacle studio AV/DV deluxe) and now I'm waiting on a new Studio 9 installation disc from Pinnacle. (the disc I recieved would not load and Pinnacle said it was a bad disc :confused: ) I also have PowerDirector 4 installed, but it seems a bit "buggy" too.

This has also given me a reason (like I needed one) to think about ugrading my motherboard and processor. I'm kinda fond of Gigabyte motherboards because of all the neat little tools they offer with them, and I'm 100% an AMD processor type. (I've had nothing but heartache with Intel processors) Right now I'm running a Gigabyte DX7 motherboard and an Athlon 2000+ XP processor, but that size processor maxes out the motherboard.

I've been talking with Rich Brown at Center Cross Videos, and have learned a ton from him. The main thing I've noticed about video capture/editing software is that none of it seems to be mature yet. Lots of bugs and probelms with each. I suppose it's mainly because I'm staying at the consumer level programs, but you'd think even at that level the companies would want to offer something that works without a lot of patches and fixes.
I'll check back in as I get more into this, and let you know how things are going.....gotta get ready for church right now.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Skilled

Let us know as you progress in finding out about these new technologies as I myself am always interested in this new stuff but I am still using Windows 98 so I am way behind the times. Everything still works well so I never saw the need to upgrade but my day is coming. I am like you in that the experiences I have had which are very limited, seem to have a lot of bugs in them and I could not justify the cost of the high end stuff, at least not for me for right now, maybe later. Thanks again for the post.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
It works! Now I just have to learn...

Well, here's the story up to now. I purchased Pinnacle Studio Deluxe 9 from TigerDirect.com. It came with al the software, a Pinnacle video capture card, and a "breakout" box which has both analog (RCA cable connectors) and S-Video hook ups. Initially I could not get the program to install, and sought help from Pinnacle. The surmised that my installation disc was bad, and about 10 days later I had a new disc. After downloading and installing a program called "End It All", which terminate ALL programs running in the background, I was able to install Studio 9. It has been pretty smooth sailing since. I was able to capture video from my old 8mm Camcorder, and so far I've managed to capture and transfer three of our VHS movies to DVD. A few very basic things I've learned about video capture....

1. You need a fairly powerful computer to do it effeciently. I'm running an AMD 2000+ processor (1.6ghz) which I've overclocked to 1.87Ghz), 768mb DDR 266 ram, 2- 120GB hard drives. The video capture takes how ever long the VHS tape is, but rendering and burning to a DVD has taken as long as 6 hours! This gave me the incentive to ask Santa for a new motherboard and processor for Christmas! I spoke with a local friend who is a computer tech, and he recommended that for video work, to go with one of the AMD 64 processors, running as high as I could afford, and at least 2 GB of ram! Also, exit ANY programs that may be running in the background. This will speed up the process. Make sure you also shut down any screen savers you might have running the background. Leaving them on will cause the program to stop capturing video when they kick in!

2. You MUST have LOTS of hard drive space for video capture/work. I recently upgraded my computer with two (2) 120 GB hard drives. I have captured and recorded 3 VHS movies to DVD, and the 120Gb drive that I use to work on videos is almost full!! I've learned to make sure the DVD disc works, once it's burned, and then delete the files from the hard drive.

3.This program (Studio 9) is pretty intuitive when it comes to putting a movie on DVD. I have to refer to the help file often, but that's just getting used to a new program.
DVD discs are only 4.7Gb, but actually the room on most DVD discs is more like 4.3GB. Studio 9 has options when you burn to DVD as to the quality of the finished movie. Since I'm new to this stuff, I've been using the "automatic" setting, which means that the program fits the movie on the DVD disc by reducing the quality. One movie I copied to DVD was 125mins and in order to get it on one DVD disc, the quality had to be reduced to 48%! I picked up a couple of Double Layer DVD discs (8.5 Gb capacity) thinking that would solve the issue. However, once recorded, the Dual Layer disc would not play in my home DVD player. I found that most newer DVD plaers can handle DVD +/- R media, but not the dual layer discs.

4. I also found that your computer uses LOTS of power when capturing/editing video. My machine has a 300 watt power supply, and it get pretty toasty when I'm capturing video. To that end I ordered a new 450 watt power supply that should arrive next week.

In summary, what I have found:

The computer has got to be up to the task of video capture/editing. You need lots of power, lots of speed, and lots of room on hard drives. If you don't already have one installed in your machine, do your homework on which DVD burner to purchase. I purchased a BenQ, 1640 after reading several reviews that put it at the top of the list. I managed to snag a brand new one with a warranty off Ebay for less than $50!
If your copying VHS movies to DVD, make sure your other hardware (like your home DVD player) can read the type of DVD media your recording to.
And finally, just get it in your mind that unless your a software expert, it's gona take some time to learn how to do it. I've just scratched the surface, but the few little successes I've had have spurred me to keep going and learn more about it.

My hope is to eventually be able to record shop events and then put them into my next video. Funny sometimes the things that make us do what we do. :confused:

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Guru

Ed,

If your looking at a new system, take a look at this review. Looks like the new dual core 64 bit machines really kick for video.

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...9233885,00.htm

--Carl
Old 11-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Steel Addict

Tigergdirect.com also has them. Some MoBo's with processor combos. Make sure you get a good heat sinl/cooling fan for that CPU with thermo transfer compound. Maybe put another cooling fan in the case.

Thanks, Steve
nettech3@cox.net

Guns, Big Knives, Outdoors www.ramanon.com

Tags
switchblade